Marketing & Communications Manager
- 1430 W Broadway Rd, Tempe, AZ 85282, USA
The SciTech Institute is seeking a full-time Marketing & Communications Manager to nurture the growing need to support communications for the SciTech Institute (SI) including the Chief Science Officers, the Arizona SciTech Festival, Science For All Arizona, Arizona Middle School and High School Science Bowls, the Counting Bee, and the SciTech Institute brand itself. Key responsibilities will be to support general communications, PR, brand integrity and monitor performance metrics. Given the ambitious duties described herein, the position will have access to strategic support from Lane Terralever, one of Arizona’s leading advertising agencies. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, outgoing, team player, problem solver and passion to meaningfully communicate with business, community and the general public about STEM and our related programs.
Salary range: $45,000 – $55,000 annually
- Develop the marketing and communications strategy and execution;
- Design and implement campaigns to increase the number and engagement of collaborators, sponsors and general public users;
- Cultivate stories about the Institute via written, pictorial, video and audio mediums;
- Act as secondary content proofing for all content and communication platforms;
- Co-produce and manage content on all social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, including proofing content and scheduling content across platforms;
- Work within the an email management platform to design evites, e-newsletters, and other digital communications;
- Communicate happenings through articles, blogs, vlogs, podcasts, and editorials;
- Maintain Institute website content and format;
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of public relations efforts such as securing earned media for the Institute’s large scale events and programs;
- Oversee the production of promotional materials such as event materials, advertising copy, press releases, e-newsletters, annual reports and other collateral;
- Monitor brand use by the internal team and external collaborators;
- Maintain monthly marketing metrics for newsletters, website visits, social media and other campaigns;
- Document the marketing & communication processes and procedures developed;
- Organize media content including videos, pictures, past stories and etc.;
- Attend business and community meetings, conferences and networking events to represent Institute programs and opportunities with community stakeholders;
- Attend regular staff meetings, key events and other activities
Preferred Skills and Experience and Approach
- Proficiency with business applications such as MS Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word), Keynote and Google applications;
- Knowledge of CRM systems (Esp. Salesforce) and some experience with basic database management;
- Communication skills in networking, public speaking, making presentations and writing;
- Understanding of the importance of outbound marketing to an organization;
- Capability to act on own initiative, exercise good judgment, manage expectations, problem solve;
- Ability to formulate and interpret a range of requests while following policies;
- Proven ability to multi-task and react positively to time critical situations;
- Can-do approach and attitude and can work effectively in a team and independently;
- Organizational and communication skills combined with creative thought processes;
- Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning principles and practices;
- Attention to detail and accuracy in reporting;
- Increase the number of business and community partners engaged in SI programs by 15-25%;
- Increase the number of public audiences engaged in SI programs by 25-50% annually;
- Increase the number of contributions to Science for All by 30-50 annually;
- Increase the number of media hits by 15-30% annually
Education: Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Office home at MAC6 in Tempe
- Ability to attend community meetings and events which may occur during regular business hours, evenings and weekends;
- Mileage to businesses, community organizations, schools and special events will be reimbursed
KEY PROGRAM BACKGROUND
Chief Science Officers – the Chief Science Officers program is the first of its kind where a 6th to 12th grade student is ELECTED by his/her peers to be their school’s liaison for STEM and innovation. The CSO becomes part of a cadre of student leaders who experience special leadership training, impact STEM opportunities at their school and local community, and work as a collective cabinet to give input and ideas to adult STEM leaders in the state or region. The CSO program aims to elevate the popularity of STEM and empowers students to bring opportunities to campus and ensure they (the students) are a respected voice for STEM within their communities. Moreover, CSOs are linked with community and industry mentors, who bring expertise, perspective, support and guidance.
Arizona SciTech Festival - the Arizona SciTech Festival has grown into one of the state’s largest collaborative around STEM. To this end we have over 800 collaborating organizations around business, education, government and community collaborating to put forth STEM based celebrations in their communities. There are now over 1500 events in more than 50 Arizona cities and towns. What has made the effort so unique is the festival’s ability to serve as common ground for communities to come together around STEM and innovation. As a result, it now serves many regions through community, education and economic development efforts. To this end, we are now anchored at the Arizona Commerce Authority with Arizona Board of Regions, ASU, UA, Arizona Science Center and the Arizona Technology Council Foundation as Foundational Partners.
Science for All Arizona - Per the Arizona Department of Education, there are over 1300 Arizona schools where the majority of students are living in poverty. The vision of Science For All is to provide these students with workplace employability and technical skills necessary for securing jobs in the STEM fields. The creation of this pool of high-tech talent will help attract employers to Arizona and improve Arizona's standing as a STEM hub. Science for All utilizes the innovative Chief Science Officer (CSO) program as the vehicle to help youth develop employability and technical skills through STEM events, job training programs, mentor-ships, internships and other CSO program activities. We currently serve 99 Arizona schools with low-income student populations. There are over 1300 such schools in Arizona, representing a large unmet need.
The Arizona Science Bowl is a regional event of the National Science Bowl® (NSB). The competition consists of school teams from throughout the state. The teams are four students, one alternate, and a teacher who serves as a coach. Together, they face-off in fast-paced question and answer rounds and tested on a range of science disciplines. The high school question categories are: Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Energy, Mathematics, and Physics. The middle school question categories are: Life Science, Physical Science, Earth and Space Science, Energy, Mathematics, and General Science. Winners of this regional Science Bowl will advance to the National Science Bowl in Washington, D.C. More here.
The Counting Bee is a STEM competition open for K-12 students at all public, private, charter, and home schools in Arizona. We look forward to celebrating the fastest mathletes in each age group! This contest is designed to encourage the teaching of mental math exercises in a classroom, spark student's interest in number patterns and arithmetic, and increase awareness of numeracy. More here.
About LaneTerralever: LaneTerralever encourages a culture of independent thought, innovation, and problem-solving – finding great solutions to new challenges. We are extremely motivated but have a great respect for work-life balance. We’re not big on egos and attitudes – we’re all here to learn from each other, create amazing work for our clients and to help shape the industry we work in. If you want to work for a firm that honors your experience, integrity, and passion for the business, then we are the company for you.
Benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, and 401(k).