Product Design Engineering Director
- 2695 E Dominguez St, Carson, CA 90895, USA
Lakeshore Learning Materials is one of the most innovative manufacturers of educational materials in the country. Specializing in top-quality products for the home and classroom, we are a thriving multichannel organization with a robust web business, multiple catalogs for early learning and elementary programs, over 60 store locations and a sales force that is second to none. Thanks to the daily contributions of the amazing people who make up our team, Lakeshore has experienced continuous growth since the day it was founded in 1954.
We are currently looking for a hands-on Product Design Engineering Director to oversee the complex workload of our rapidly evolving product engineers and model specialists while guiding the team on strategic partnerships and process improvements across the broader product development team. A deep understanding of design and development processes is essential, as is the ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels—from interdepartmental peers to leading company executives. You will coach staff to deliver production-ready designs and implement procedures and standards to ensure best practices and maintain cost-effectiveness. This full-time position is on-site at our company headquarters in Carson.
A day at Lakeshore looks like this:
• Managing the product engineering team through hands-on coaching and mentoring
• Building bench strength and promoting the next level of leadership
• Providing engineering expertise, planning and feedback for the product development team
• Ensuring that engineering product designs support company goals of high quality, durability and cost-effectiveness
• Clearly articulating status and progress of projects to top-level company executives
• Communicating design and performance expectations to the Hong Kong office and overseas vendors to ensure successful production and manufacturing outcomes
• Establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with multiple internal and external partners
• Problem-solving inefficiencies in design and engineering processes
• Providing detailed responses to product and technical requests
Got the skills and experience? Here’s what we’re looking for:
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field (Master’s degree a plus)
• 10 years minimum engineering/design experience
• 5 years minimum management experience
• Fluent in SolidWorks (or equivalent engineering software)
• Working knowledge of Freeform 3D organic sculpt and surfacing a plus
• Excellent presentation skills with the ability to simplify complex concepts to drive decision-making
• Great leadership skills with the ability to influence partners and assess organizational needs
• Deep knowledge of manufacturing, production and materials (especially plastics—but also wood, metals and electronics) with proven experience working across cultures (China manufacturing)
• Good understanding of Quality process and integration of product and testing requirements into design
• Consistent approach to voice of customer design and consumer end-use
• Ability to provide quick and pragmatic direction
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail
And here’s our end of the bargain!
• Competitive compensation based on skills and experience
• Excellent medical/dental and vision coverage—EPO, PPO and HSA
• 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution (because you will retire someday)
• Flexible benefits—choose what you like, ignore the rest
• Exceptional training and support, and all the resources you need to be successful
• Super-awesome annual profit bonus plan
• On-site preschool for our employees’ children
• On-site employee gym for all levels/fitness needs
• Generous employee discount
• Casual dress…and we really mean it
At Lakeshore, we know our diversity makes us stronger, and when everyone feels included and valued, we all win. We strive to embrace our differences and create an intentionally diverse and inclusive community that is representative of the teachers, families and children we serve.
We know we couldn’t do the extraordinary things we’re doing without the people on our team. Thanks to the passion and enthusiasm of this spectacular group, Lakeshore is more than a great place to work—it’s a great experience to be part of. Day in and day out, we give everything we’ve got to create products that instill a sense of wonder and foster a true love of learning. To help maintain this high bar for success, we’re constantly on the lookout for people to join us. So if you’re a down-to-earth professional who shares our desire for making a difference, we’d love to hear from you.
To learn more about Lakeshore, visit www.lakeshorelearning.com/careers
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
People are selected to become members of the Lakeshore family based on skill, merit and mind-boggling talent—not based on race, color, creed, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, domestic partnership status, military status, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, alienage, AIDS or AIDS-related complex status, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status as a victim of domestic violence, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If things aren’t equal, we all lose.