Fullstack Lead Engineer (m/w/d) Ruby on Rails
- Berlin, Germany
As the Lead Engineer (m/w/d) of our Laboperator product, you will provide technical direction, coaching and leadership to your agile engineering team. You will own the delivery of our product roadmap, and work closely with our product team to drive Labforward’s core mission. The position can be filled in Berlin or Karlsruhe.
About Labforward & the Laboperator product:
We are a mix of passionate technology experts and scientists building the operating system of the lab and connecting researchers, data, devices and processes. At Labforward, you can help simplify daily life in the lab, allowing researchers to concentrate on what they do best: making extraordinary discoveries and bringing innovation to the world!
Our product Laboperator is the plug & play solution to connect all lab instruments in a single platform. It allows scientists to collect and analyze instrument data in real-time and manage devices remotely.
Backend: Ruby (RoR), Postgres, RabbitMQ, Redis, Node, Docker, AWS
We are looking for:
Leadership: You recruit, retain and develop a team of outstanding engineers. You help your team continuously improve the quality of their work by coaching them to make the right decisions fast. You know what it takes to build a mature team, that can work as independently as possible. Regular 1:1s and development talks are not a burden for you but something that makes you enjoy your job. You can turn a business strategy into the Engineering team’s OKRs and ensure that you lead your team with purpose.
Technical expertise: Together with the CTO, you provide the right guidance to your team and help them solve their technical questions, such as choice of tech stack, system architecture, security implications, code quality and performance. You have a clear mid- and long-term technical vision for your product and foster close collaboration with your colleagues to be in line with our overall strategy. You enjoy coding and don’t mind rolling up your sleeves to help your team get things done.
Results-driven mindset: You're ultimately responsible for what is being delivered by your team. You make sure that the delivery is on-time and as planned and care for the continuous improvement of our team and processes. You determine what will be developed in the next sprint, assess feasibility, timelines and resources, and perform code reviews to ensure quality. You proactively identify risks and address them before they become an issue.
Our ideal candidate:
- 5+ years of direct coding experience including designing and operating large-scale applications on a SaaS cloud, preferably AWS.
- 3+ years of experience in team leadership and agile development methodologies. Track record of developing and mentoring software engineers and working in a cross-functional environment, managing complex projects with various stakeholders throughout the company.
- Knowledge of latest developments in software design, architecture and web services and a passion for well-structured, readable and testable code.
- Experience working in multi-product environments is a plus.
- Drive for continuous improvement and innovation, desire to have an impact by effectively managing conflicts and priorities, and by thinking creatively and solution-oriented.
- You are comfortable working in an international and distributed team (working language is English).
What we offer:
- Our product matters. We simplify the work of scientists and help them make great discoveries.
- We are a small and international company (25 people) that supports and believes in self-development: we like to see our colleagues grow.
- Flexibility in terms of working hours (core hours from 10 am to 4 pm), home-office possible on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
- An annual budget to spend on learning.
- Passionate colleagues that care about each other.
- Regular team events
How to apply?
Please apply through our website, and don’t hesitate to send us an email at careers-at-labforward.io if you have any questions.
A cover letter is even more important for us than your CV. You don’t need to overthink it, just tell us with your own words why you would like to do this job, why you would be good at it, and why Labforward. Don’t forget to indicate your ideal starting date and salary expectations.
Do you have a previous project that you are really proud of? Any open source contributions? A public GitHub profile? Please include any of these you feel relevant with your application!
Labforward welcomes diversity and strives for an inclusive environment. We are looking for qualified candidates with no regard to ethnic origin, appearance, gender identity & sexual orientation, disability, age, or other features that make us all unique.
We respect work-life balance and are family-friendly. Also, our building in Berlin has an elevator.