Backend Engineer (m/w/x) Ruby on Rails
- Karlsruhe, Germany
As a Backend Engineer for our cubuslab product, you will build the core of a scalable scientific IoT platform as part of an agile engineering team. You will tune infrastructure, optimize performance and deliver application logic for new features. Working closely with our product team, you help us deliver on Labforward’s core mission. The position can be filled in Berlin or Karlsruhe.
About Labforward & the cubuslab product:
We are a mix of passionate technology experts and scientists building the operating system of the lab by connecting researchers, data, devices and processes. At Labforward, you can help simplify daily life in the lab, allowing researchers to concentrate on what they do best: making extraordinary discoveries and bringing innovation to the world.
Our product cubuslab is the plug & play solution to connect all lab instruments in a single platform. It allows scientists to collect and analyze instrument data in real time and manage devices remotely.
Backend: Ruby (RoR), Postgres, RabbitMQ, Redis, Node, Docker, AWS
We are looking for:
Technical expertise: You are passionate about architecture and performance. With the guidance of your team lead, you come up with your own solutions for technical challenges around new system services, code organisation, efficient data modelling, data retrieval and API design. You are a team player who can clearly communicate his vision to colleagues. You make sure your code is maintainable, follows agreed code standards and is well documented.
Results-driven mindset: You take responsibility for your work. You make sure that you deliver on-time, implying that you can estimate a given task with sufficient accuracy. When you see a potential for improvement of your team or processes, you communicate proactively. You know how to prioritize and orchestrate work as a team to achieve a target. You proactively identify risks and address them before they become an issue.
Our ideal candidate:
- 3+ years of direct coding experience including designing and optimizing large-scale distributed applications.
- You’re an expert in Ruby on Rails (for application logic and APIs) and ideally have experience with Rails serving a single page front end application (React + Redux). On top, you have the ability to work with Postgres/SQL databases and REST APIs in a distributed, scalable and resilient microservice landscape. Experience with RabbitMQ and Docker are a plus.
- 2+ years of experience working in a team and agile development methodologies. Track record of developing in a cross-functional environment and contributing to complex projects with various stakeholders throughout the company.
- Knowledge of latest developments in software design, architecture and web services and a passion for well-structured, readable and testable code.
- Experience working in multi-product environments is a plus.
- Drive for continuous improvement and innovation, desire to have an impact by effectively managing conflicts and priorities, and by thinking creatively and solution-oriented.
- You are comfortable working in an international and distributed team (working language is English).
What we offer:
- Our product matters. We simplify the work of scientists and help them make great discoveries.
- We are a small and international company (25 people) that supports and believes in self-development: we like to see our colleagues grow.
- Flexibility in terms of working hours (core hours from 10 am to 4 pm), home-office possible on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
- An annual budget to spend on learning.
- Passionate colleagues that care about each other.
- Regular team events, at least a yearly visit to our Berlin headquarters.
How to apply?
Please apply through our website, and don’t hesitate to send us an email at careers-at-labforward.io if you have any questions.
A cover letter is even more important for us than your CV. You don’t need to overthink it, just tell us with your own words why you are interested in this position and what makes you think that you are a good fit.
Do you have a previous project that you are really proud of? Any open source contributions? A public GitHub profile? Please include any of these you feel relevant with your application!
Labforward welcomes diversity and strives for an inclusive environment. We are looking for qualified candidates with no regard to ethnic origin, appearance, gender identity & sexual orientation, disability, age, or other features that make us all unique.
We respect work-life balance and are family-friendly.