Engineering Lead (m/w/x)
- Berlin, Germany
As the Engineering Lead (m/w/x) of our labfolder product, you will provide technical direction, coaching and leadership to your agile engineering team. You will own the delivery of our product roadmap, and work closely with our product team to drive Labforward’s core mission.
About Labforward & the labfolder product:
We are a mix of passionate technology experts and scientists building the operating system of the lab and connecting researchers, data, devices and processes. At Labforward, you can help simplify daily life in the lab, allowing researchers to concentrate on what they do best: making extraordinary discoveries and bringing innovation to the world!
Our product labfolder is an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) for scientists. By transforming the traditional paper lab notebook into a productivity & collaboration platform, we make it easier for scientists to create, find, share, discuss and validate research data.
Backend: REST API, Java, Spring, Hibernate, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Node, Docker, AWS, Gradle, GitHub
We are looking for:
Leadership: You recruit, retain and develop a team of outstanding engineers. You help your team continuously improve the quality of their work by coaching them to make the right decisions fast. You know what it takes to build a mature team, that can work as independently as possible. Regular 1:1s and development talks are not a burden for you but something you look forward to. You can turn business objectives into team OKRs and lead your team with purpose.
Technical expertise: Together with the CTO, you provide the right guidance to your team and help them solve their technical questions, such as choice of tech stack, system architecture, security implications, code quality and performance. You have a clear mid- and long-term technical vision for the product and foster close collaboration with your colleagues to be in line with our overall strategy. You enjoy coding and don’t mind rolling up your sleeves and help your team get things done.
Results-driven mindset: You're ultimately responsible for what is being delivered by your team. You make sure that the delivery is reliable with high quality and care for the continuous improvement of the team. You will conduct regular planning and tasking sessions with the team, assess the feasibility and set timelines for proposed work, and perform code reviews to ensure quality. You are expected to proactively identify risks and address them before they become an issue.
Our ideal candidate:
- 5+ years of relevant experience including designing and operating large-scale applications. Direct experience in Cloud / SaaS solutions is a plus.
- 3+ years of experience in a team leadership role using agile development methodologies. You’ve established a track record of developing and mentoring software engineers managing complex projects with various stakeholders throughout the company.
- You effectively manage conflicts and priorities towards solutions.
- You are pragmatic yet strive for continuous improvement.
- You are passionate about well-structured, readable and testable code.
- Experience working in multi-product environments is a plus.
- You are comfortable working in an international and distributed team (working language is English).
What we offer:
- Our product matters. We simplify the work of scientists and help them make great discoveries.
- We are a small and friendly company (25 people) that supports and believes in self-development: we like to see our colleagues grow.
- You will work in a dedicated and fun team of colleagues from 10 different nationalities across four countries.
How to apply?
Please apply through our website, and don’t hesitate to send us an email at careers-at-labforward.io if you have any questions.
A cover letter is even more important for us than your CV. You don’t need to overthink it, just tell us with your own words why you would like to do this job, why you would be good at it, and why Labforward. Don’t forget to indicate your ideal starting date and salary expectations.
Do you have a previous project that you are really proud of? Any open source contributions? A public GitHub profile? Please include any of these you feel relevant with your application!
Labforward welcomes diversity and strives for an inclusive environment. We are looking for qualified candidates with no regard to ethnic origin, appearance, gender identity & sexual orientation, disability, age, or other features that make us all unique.
We respect work-life balance and are family-friendly.