Founded in 2002, La Scuola International School – the only Reggio Emilia inspired, International Baccalaureate (IB) and Italian language immersion school in the world – is serving the Bay Area with two San Francisco campuses (Preschool - Grade 8), and one new campus in Silicon Valley (Preschool - Grade 1). Our mission is to inspire brave learners to shape the future. Every day, it’s the students at La Scuola who ask provocative questions and lead their learning across languages, across cultures, and across subjects. To learn more, please visit us at www.lascuolasf.org.
La Scuola International School is accredited by NAIS, CAIS, WASC and CIS and is one of two Italian schools recognized by the Italian government in the United States.
We believe our community thrives through diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and realities. Only through a persistent drive to listen and learn from one another, create and promote equitable opportunities and to continue to reflect and evolve will we be able to establish systems which will address the needs of the one and the many.
The Staff Accountant, in cooperation with the Business Office, Chief Financial Officer and Controller, is responsible for managing all accounts payable and account receivable functions of La Scuola and supporting the business office in ensuring that the mission and vision of La Scuola International School is reflected in the area of business management.
The Staff Accountant assumes responsibility for the effective overall management of the accounts payable and accounts receivable process, tuition accounting, and expense tracking. The Staff accountant supports the Controller as needed, with bank account and General Ledger reconciliation, and supports Business Office operations.
The position works closely with the Chief Financial Officer and the Controller, and requires a collaborative working relationship with Administrative staff, the Admissions Office, and the Development Office. The Staff Accountant serves as the conduit for communicating pertinent accounting policies, budget information, and other accounting details to employees and is the point person for communication with families.
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Hours: Regular school hours. Full time. May require occasional extended hours and/or off-hours work. On site and remote work, as needed.
Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Manages all areas of bookkeeping: accounts payable, accounts receivable, tuition accounting, etc.;
- Manages time and workload to meet deadlines and closings;
- Processes and manages daily accounting using General Ledger System (QuickBooks);
- Processes all accounts payable and receivable, including request for checks and expense reimbursements;
- Gathers vendor invoices for review, approval, and process for payment;
- Reviews checks printed for bill payments, ensure correctness and completeness, including proper approvals and signatures;
- Maintains accounting physical and electronic files – by vendor/supplier, major expense categories, by fiscal year, etc.
- Tracks receipts, disbursements, and coding of accounts
Cash and Check Receipts
- Processes payments received;
- Issues school receipt, if requested;
- Safe-keeps checks received for deposit.
Bank Accounts – Deposits and Withdrawals
- Assists in deposits of cash and checks received in school office;
- Completes worksheet of checks received at the school;
- Matches bank deposit receipt with list and file accordingly;
- Verifies and posts deposits to GL system (QuickBooks);
- Reviews withdrawals/direct payments from bank accounts;
- Classifies bank account entries to GL;
- Processes payables and bills for payment, prepares checks for signature and distribution
- Keeps track of major expense lines
- Monitors and reconcile purchases from major vendors/suppliers (e.g., Amazon) and properly classify expenses
- Reviews budget trackers of departments and classrooms
- Accounts for sales tax due for invoices;
- Adheres to all tuition and collection policies of the school. Maintains a complete listing of enrolled students by updating Excel worksheet based on Admissions Office enrollment list;
- Manages student accounts and responds promptly to parent questions. Bills families for tuition, extended care, auxiliary programs, and other charges.
- Reconciles tuition accounts monthly.
- Manages student tuition accounts of all students in the tuition accounting system (ProCare)
- Manages tuition billing cycle including the setting up of annual and monthly billing amounts, reconciling tuition billings and payments to the General Ledger, and other functions related to tuition and programmatic billing
- Manages tuition collection process through regular, documented communication with families
Business Office Support
- Provides support to business office operations, including the tracking of individual classroom and department budgets
- Coordinates and reconciles donations and fund-raising programs with the Development Office
- Supports the annual audit
- Assists in other tasks as assigned
Education and Experience:
BA, business background, and/or three to five years of bookkeeping, accounting, or business experience, preferably in a non-profit
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- Proficient and accurate data entry and records maintenance
- Resolves discrepancy in a timely manner
- Takes initiative to increase productivity and provide additional support when needed
- Adheres to predetermined schedules as it relates to Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Operate a computer and related software including, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and email
- Perform duties effectively with many demands on time and constant interruptions
- Maintain confidentiality with discretion
- Office management techniques
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment
- La Scuola organization, operations, policies and objectives
- Laws, codes, rules and regulations
- School office terminology, practices and procedures
- Record-keeping techniques, filing systems and information management
- Bookkeeping and accounting; GAAP
- Operation of a computer and assigned software (Google Workplace, Blackbaud FE NXT, Word, Excel)
- Oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
- Basic first aid
License and other Requirements:
- Valid Driver’s License, Criminal Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance, Physical and TB Clearance.
- Valid first aid and CPR certificate issued by the Red Cross within six months of employment
Note: This position description may be updated/revised as the position and organization evolve.
Position receives excellent benefits, including medical, vision and dental coverage. The school also offers group life insurance, employer-matched retirement, long-term disability insurance and commuter benefits. Other fringe benefits include PTO, paid holidays, daily warm lunch and outstanding professional development.
Estimated annual salary range: $70,000 - $80,000 depending on credentials, qualifications and experience.
To be considered for the position, please apply here with your resume, Letter of Intent and three references.
To learn more, visit www.lascuolasf.org
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at La Scuola will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. La Scuola does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability (actual or perceived), medical condition, genetic characteristics, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, layoff, promotion, transfer and access to benefits and training. If you feel you may have been discriminated against on the basis of sex or would like more information, please contact Dani Sollberger, Director of Administration, by email or 415-558-9006 or by mail at 728 20th Street, San Francisco, CA 94107.
- Busy and noisy office environment with frequent interruptions.
- Physical Demands:
- Work in a highly stressful environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Regularly sit, talk, and hear; able to visually intercept visitors.
- Regularly use close and distance vision.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information
- Seeing to read a variety of materials
- Working at desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials
- Lifting and transporting boxes weighing up to fifty pounds
- Turn, bend, reach, and may occasionally use a ladder.
PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
The staff is guided by/expected to meet the following performance standards:
- Maintaining an awareness of the school’s mission and philosophy;
- Performing tasks and responsibilities in a complete and timely manner;
- Maintaining a creative, team-building approach to job performance and seeking to bring a constructive, problem-solving orientation to all tasks;
- Seeking opportunities to develop skills and create opportunities to teach co-workers;
- Communicating in a timely, honest and sufficient manner;
- Exercising professional judgment and discretion; and
- Working well with a diverse staff and school community.