Preschool / Early Education Teacher
- 728 20th St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
La Scuola International School is a vibrant Pre-K - 8th Grade international community with a focus on inquiry-based learning, creative expression and language immersion. We are an IB accredited, Italian-immersion school serving Preschool - 8th Grade. We are interested in teachers with some knowledge of the Reggio Emilia approach.
La Scuola’s mission is to inspire brave learners to shape the future. La Scuola aims to nurture children’s innate ability to learn by challenging them academically, creatively and innovatively, while immersing them in the Italian language and making them keenly aware of the world around them and their place in it.
Applicants should be strong team players and be very proactive and flexible. Final candidates need to be prepared for a teaching demonstration (or a video if they are overseas).
This position is for the 2020-21 scholastic year will report to the Early Childhood Director at our campus in San Francisco’s Dogpatch neighborhood.
- Set educational and developmental goals for the children in your group, both as a group and individually.
- Prepare the environment (indoor and outdoor) thoughtfully every day so that it supports those objectives.
- Plan (progettazione) & carrying out appropriate daily curriculum and long term projects to further support those goals.
- Assess and document the group dynamic, as well as individual developmental progress toward group and individual goals is required.
- Effectively communicate with staff and parents; a weekly bulletin (Momenti) describing classroom activities is required for all classes. The weekly bulletin will also explain why the described activities are chosen and what children are learning through them.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or Child Development Certificate, or 5+ years experience working with children required;
- Experience working in a Reggio Emilia inspired school
- Bilingual and bi-literate in Italian and English with native or near-native Italian proficiency;
- 4 core classes* of early childhood education:
- Introduction to the Field of Child Development (3 units) CDEV 65
- Child Growth and Development (3 units) CDEV 53
- Child, Family and Community (3 units) CDEV 67
- Curriculum for Young Children (3 units) CDEV 66
Required Skills and Pre-requisites
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English/Italian;
- Knowledge of Reggio Emilia approach;
- Familiarity with IB-PYP Curriculum framework or inquiry/project based approach;
- Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Problem solving, creativity, excellent multitasking skills, and ability to thrive in a start-up environment are a must.
- Ability to plan curriculum, lead other teachers;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present in public to both parents and other educators;
- Enjoy working with children, including ones with mild learning differences;
- Ability to work well in a team and in a very collegial and collaborative environment;
- Willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the La Scuola community;
- Obvious passion for the academic subject matter being taught;
- Commitment to equity, inclusion and a diverse community;
- Excellent attendance and punctuality.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
La Scuola may be able to offer a teachers exchange visa for 3 years, for teachers with a BA in Education / Pedagogy / teaching credentials in their country of origin AND a MINIMUM of two years of teaching experience in a primary/elementary school.
Prior to beginning work and as a condition of employment in order to comply with the law, all employees must provide documentation to prove eligibility to work in the United States.
In addition, the final candidate will need to pass both Criminal Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance and a physical exam, and provide a recent copy of a negative TB test and other immunization records.
Salary will depend on qualifications and experience. Position receives excellent benefits, including medical, vision and dental coverage. The school also offers group life insurance, employer-matched retirement, long-term disability insurance and commuter benefits for full time employees. Other fringe benefits include PTO, paid holidays, daily warm lunch and outstanding professional development.
To be considered for the position, please apply here with your resume, Letter of Intent and three references.
ABOUT LA SCUOLA
La Scuola is San Francisco’s first IB-PYP School and the first Reggio - IB Italian Immersion program in the world. We are currently implementing the IB Middle Years Program as MYP candidate school.
Founded in San Francisco in 2002 as La Piccola Scuola Italiana, we have grown from a small playgroup of Italian-American and Italian families to a thriving International community of over 240 families from preschool through 8th grade (in the 2019-20 school year).
La Scuola International School will empower every student to maximise his/her unique potential within a friendly, supportive, and inspiring environment. Through innovative education of the highest standard, the school will nurture lifelong learners prepared for the challenges of a changing world.
To learn more, visit www.lascuolasf.org
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at La Scuola will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. La Scuola does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, physical or mental disability (actual or perceived), medical condition, genetic characteristics, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, layoff, promotion, transfer and access to benefits and training.