2020-21 Elementary Teacher (K - Grade 5)
- 735 Fell St, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
La Scuola International School is a vibrant Pre-K - 8th Grade international community with a focus on inquiry-based learning, creative expression and language immersion. We are an IB accredited, Italian-immersion school serving Preschool - 8th Grade.
La Scuola’s mission is to inspire brave learners to shape the future. La Scuola aims to nurture children’s innate ability to learn by challenging them academically, creatively and innovatively, while immersing them in the Italian language and making them keenly aware of the world around them and their place in it.
Our Elementary Program continues to offer an Italian language and cultural immersion model as well as teach children using the Reggio Emilia-inspired approach, which values curiosity,innovation and hands on experience.
La Scuola International School seeks experienced and passionate Elementary School teachers for the 2020-21 Academic Year.
We are particularly interested in teachers with experience in the IB PYP (IB Primary Years Program). Applicants should be able to teach an inquiry-based curriculum, be strong team players and be very proactive and flexible. Final candidates need to be prepared for a teaching demonstration (or a video if they are overseas).
The position will start in August 2020 and will report to the Lower School Director.
Schedule: On site hours are 8:00 am. to 4:00 pm.
Additional time may be required to prepare curriculum, prepare assessments, attend meetings, conferences and curriculum nights; and take part in admissions events such as Open Houses, tours; and communicate with parents and staff and to meet the educational and program goals of the School. The on-site hours are subject to change as necessary for the smooth operation of the School.
The Elementary Teacher will support and implement the daily program in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the School under the supervision and direction of the Lower School Director and the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or Child Development Certificate, or 5+ years experience working with children required;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching in K-8 grade level, preferably in a language immersion program and or and IB accredited school;
- Bilingual and bi-literate in Italian and English with native or near-native Italian proficiency
- Experience working in a Reggio Emilia inspired school
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English/Italian;
- Knowledge of Reggio Emilia approach;
- Familiarity with IB-PYP Curriculum framework or inquiry/project based approach;
- Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Problem solving, creativity, excellent multitasking skills, and ability to thrive in a start-up environment are a must.
- Ability to plan curriculum, lead other teachers;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present in public to both parents and other educators;
- Enjoy working with children, including ones with mild learning differences;
- Ability to work well in a team and in a very collegial and collaborative environment;
- Willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the La Scuola community;
- Obvious passion for the academic subject matter being taught;
- Commitment to equity, inclusion and a diverse community;
- Excellent attendance and punctuality.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Designing, planning & implementing appropriate curriculum goals and long-term projects within the IB-PYP guidelines, including but not limited to:
- Setting educational and developmental goals for the children, both as a group and individually, including but not limited to:
- Preparing the environment (indoor and outdoor) so as to support the educational objectives/goals including, but not limited to:
- Establishing and maintaining a personal connection with each parent, child's family, including:
- Communicating with parents
Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
La Scuola may be able to offer a teachers exchange visa for 3 years, for teachers with a BA in Education / Pedagogy / teaching credentials in their country of origin AND a MINIMUM of two years of teaching experience in a primary/elementary school.
Prior to beginning work and as a condition of employment in order to comply with the law, all employees must provide documentation to prove eligibility to work in the United States.
In addition, the final candidate will need to pass both Criminal Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance and a physical exam, and provide a recent copy of a negative TB test and other immunization records.
Salary will depend on qualifications and experience. Position receives excellent benefits, including medical, vision and dental coverage. The school also offers group life insurance, employer-matched retirement, long-term disability insurance and commuter benefits for full time employees. Other fringe benefits include PTO, paid holidays, daily warm lunch and outstanding professional development.
To be considered for the position, please apply here with your resume, Letter of Intent and three references.
ABOUT LA SCUOLA
La Scuola is San Francisco’s first IB-PYP School and the first Reggio - IB Italian Immersion program in the world. We are currently implementing the IB Middle Years Program as MYP candidate school.
Founded in San Francisco in 2002 as La Piccola Scuola Italiana, we have grown from a small playgroup of Italian-American and Italian families to a thriving International community of over 240 families from preschool through 8th grade (in the 2019-20 school year).
La Scuola International School will empower every student to maximise his/her unique potential within a friendly, supportive, and inspiring environment. Through innovative education of the highest standard, the school will nurture lifelong learners prepared for the challenges of a changing world.
To learn more, visit www.lascuolasf.org
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at La Scuola will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. La Scuola does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, physical or mental disability (actual or perceived), medical condition, genetic characteristics, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, layoff, promotion, transfer and access to benefits and training.