Elementary Teacher (K - Grade 5)
- 3250 18th St, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
La Scuola International School is a private, Preschool - Grade 8 independent school in San Francisco soon to be expanding to the Peninsula with the opening of a new Campus in East Palo Alto in February 2022.
The school founded its preschool, La Piccola Scuola Italiana, in 2002 and has earned awards and accolades for its work with Reggio Children in Italy as a leading example of the Reggio Emilia pedagogy in North America. In 2012, the school expanded its curriculum through grade 8 and is the only school in San Francisco to offer the International Baccalaureate program for the elementary and middle school years as well as the only school in the world to offer a program that blends Reggio Emilia, the International Baccalaureate and Italian language immersion.
The mission of the school is to inspire brave learners to shape the future. The school does this by believing steadfastly in children’s innate ability to learn and by challenging them academically, creatively and innovatively in an environment that is intentionally designed to elicit creativity and curiosity from those that work there.
Its language immersion program helps children to develop cognitive skills as well as empathy and awareness of the world around them. The school’s multicultural and diverse community esteems different perspectives and experiences and strives to educate the global citizens and leaders of tomorrow.
La Scuola International School is accredited by NAIS, CAIS, WASC and CIS and is one of two Italian schools recognized by the Italian government in the United States.
We believe our community thrives through diversity of backgrounds, perspectives and realities. Only through a persistent drive to listen and learn from one another, create and promote equitable opportunities and to continue to reflect and evolve will we be able to establish systems which will address the needs of the one and the many.
La Scuola International School seeks experienced and passionate Elementary School teachers for the 2021-22 Academic Year.
We are particularly interested in teachers with experience in the IB PYP (IB Primary Years Program). Applicants should be able to teach an inquiry-based curriculum, be strong team players and be very proactive and flexible. Final candidates need to be prepared for a teaching demonstration (or a video if they are overseas).
The position will start immediately and will report to the Division Director.
Schedule: On site hours are 8:00 am. to 4:00 pm.
Additional time may be required to prepare curriculum, prepare assessments, attend meetings, conferences and curriculum nights; and take part in admissions events such as Open Houses, tours; and communicate with parents and staff and to meet the educational and program goals of the School. The on-site hours are subject to change as necessary for the smooth operation of the School.
The Elementary Teacher will support and implement the daily program in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the School under the supervision and direction of the Division Director and the Head of School.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or Child Development Certificate, or 5+ years experience working with children required;
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching in K-8 grade level, preferably in a language immersion program and or and IB accredited school;
- Bilingual and bi-literate in Italian and English with native or near-native Italian proficiency
- Experience working in a Reggio Emilia inspired school
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English/Italian;
- Knowledge of Reggio Emilia approach;
- Familiarity with IB-PYP Curriculum framework or inquiry/project based approach;
- Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Problem solving, creativity, excellent multitasking skills, and ability to thrive in a start-up environment are a must.
- Ability to plan curriculum, lead other teachers;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present in public to both parents and other educators;
- Enjoy working with children, including ones with mild learning differences;
- Ability to work well in a team and in a very collegial and collaborative environment;
- Willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the La Scuola community;
- Obvious passion for the academic subject matter being taught;
- Commitment to equity, inclusion and a diverse community;
- Excellent attendance and punctuality.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Designing, planning & implementing appropriate curriculum goals and long-term projects within the IB-PYP guidelines, including but not limited to:
- Setting educational and developmental goals for the children, both as a group and individually, including but not limited to:
- Preparing the environment (indoor and outdoor) so as to support the educational objectives/goals including, but not limited to:
- Establishing and maintaining a personal connection with each parent, child's family, including:
- Communicating with parents
Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
La Scuola may be able to offer a teachers exchange visa for 3 years, for teachers with a BA in Education / Pedagogy / teaching credentials in their country of origin AND a MINIMUM of two years of teaching experience in a primary/elementary school.
Prior to beginning work and as a condition of employment in order to comply with the law, all employees must provide documentation to prove eligibility to work in the United States.
In addition, the final candidate will need to pass both Criminal Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance and a physical exam, and provide a recent copy of a negative TB test and other immunization records.
Salary will depend on qualifications and experience. Position receives excellent benefits, including medical, vision and dental coverage. The school also offers group life insurance, employer-matched retirement, long-term disability insurance and commuter benefits for full time employees. Other fringe benefits include PTO, paid holidays, daily warm lunch and outstanding professional development.
To be considered for the position, please apply here with your resume, Letter of Intent and three references.
To learn more, visit www.lascuolasf.org
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at La Scuola will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. La Scuola does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability (actual or perceived), medical condition, genetic characteristics, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, layoff, promotion, transfer and access to benefits and training. If you feel you may have been discriminated against on the basis of sex or would like more information, please contact Dani Sollberger, Director of Administration, by email or 415-558-9006 or by mail at 728 20th Street, San Francisco, CA 94107.