Music Teacher, Kindergarten - 3rd Grade
- 735 Fell St, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
La Scuola International School is a vibrant Pre-K - 8th Grade international community with a focus on inquiry-based learning, creative expression and language immersion. We are an IB accredited, Italian-immersion school serving Preschool - 8th Grade. We are interested in teachers with some knowledge of the Reggio Emilia approach and IB-PYP (IB Primary Years Programme).
Applicants should be strong team players and be very proactive and flexible. Final candidates need to be prepared for a teaching demonstration (or a video if they are overseas).
This position will begin immediately and will report to the Music Program Coordinator at our Elementary School campus in San Francisco’s Alamo Square neighborhood.
The Music Teacher reports directly to the Music Program Coordinator and Lower School Head. Teacher on-site hours shall be coordinated with the Music Program Coordinator. Each week, teacher is expected to work approximately 15-20 hours. Work hours are initially scheduled Tuesdays through Fridays. This may change at the discretion of the school.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Lead and assist teaching primary years music classes
- Plan and document learning in line with International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (IB-PYP) and Reggio Emilia standards
- Assist with all duties related to our school concerts (evening) and other events
- Must be comfortable singing music from around the world with an emphasis on Italian-language music.
- Proficiency on an accompanying instrument is required
- Will support classroom learning objectives as well as plan and implement her/his stand-alone curriculum with support of Grade 3-8 Music Teacher and Music Program Coordinator
- Familiarity and experience with various music teaching philosophies/modalities (Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze) as well as educational philosophies/frameworks (Reggio Emilia, IB) strongly desired.
- Italian speaker strongly desired.
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English/Italian;
- A genuine passion for music, energy, and love for teaching children and ability to convey the love of music and singing to children.
- Excellent communication skills and be willing to adapt to the demands of an International school.
- A working knowledge of prominent music education/methodologies.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues across the school
- Inspire mixed culture and ability classes, by creating challenging and engaging learning opportunities for all students and ensure the best learning environment for every student
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills with children, parents and colleagues
- Demonstrate professionalism, commitment, integrity, strength of character, perseverance and a positive attitude
- Be internationally-minded and sympathetic to the values of the IB
- Commitment to equity, inclusion and a diverse community;
- Excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music Education, or Master’s Degree in Music and / or similar experience
- Experience working in a Reggio Emilia inspired school preferred
- Bilingual and bi-literate in Italian and English with native or near-native Italian proficiency;
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Busy and noisy work environment with frequent interruptions.
- Regularly stand, talk, and hear; able to visually supervise children.
- Able to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds.
- Regularly use close and distance vision.
- Work outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Turn, bend, reach, and may occasionally use a ladder.
Position receives excellent benefits, including medical, vision and dental coverage. The school also offers group life insurance, employer-matched retirement, long-term disability insurance and commuter benefits for full time employees. Other fringe benefits include PTO, paid holidays, daily warm lunch and outstanding professional development.
To be considered for the position, please apply here with your resume, Letter of Intent and three references.
About La Scuola
La Scuola is San Francisco’s first IB-PYP School and the first Reggio - IB Italian Immersion program in the world. We are currently implementing the IB Middle Years Program as MYP candidate school.
Founded in San Francisco in 2002 as La Piccola Scuola Italiana, we have grown from a small playgroup of Italian-American and Italian families to a thriving International community of over 240 families from preschool through 8th grade (in the 2019-20 school year).
La Scuola International School will empower every student to maximise his/her unique potential within a friendly, supportive, and inspiring environment. Through innovative education of the highest standard, the school will nurture lifelong learners prepared for the challenges of a changing world.
To learn more, visit www.lascuolasf.org
Non-Discrimination Policy: In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at La Scuola will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. La Scuola does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender, childbirth or related medical condition, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability (actual or perceived), medical condition, genetic characteristics, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by state, federal or local law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, layoff, promotion, transfer and access to benefits and training.