Senior Wireless Network Engineer
- Livermore, CA, USA
- Job Code 1: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
- Job Code 2: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
- Organization: Computing
- Category: Information Technology/Computing
- Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
- Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
- Position Type: Career Indefinite
- Referral Bonus: $1500
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Senior Wireless Network Engineer to help with the maintenance, operations, and security of our enterprise wireless networks. You will be responsible for the design and architecture of LLNL’s enterprise wireless networks, including installation, configuration, and maintenance of wireless hardware and supporting software. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EIS) within the Computing Directorate, in support of the Livermore IT Program (LivIT).
This position will be filled at either SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced architecture, design, operations, and troubleshooting support for wireless network platforms, including controllers, access points, policy engines, and sensors.
- Independently evaluate, recommend, and implement networking solutions and equipment to meet enterprise and customer needs.
- Collaborate with management, customers, team members, and cyber security staff on solutions that will address the various directives and cyber security requirements to which we are subject.
- Provide advanced technical support, development, and maintenance of network configuration baselines, conforming to industry and cyber security standards.
- Collaborate with vendors to evaluate wireless products and services.
- Thrive in a fast paced and challenging environment, with multiple competing priorities, while managing to maintain sound judgement and excellent customer service.
- Perform occasional work outside normal business hours to provide support for network operations and maintenance activities.
- Participate in an on-call rotation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Design and deliver highly advanced, customized network access control solutions, in alignment with customer requirements, cyber security policies, and enterprise network strategies.
- Develop complex security, monitoring, and management solutions for program specific needs.
- Diagnose, resolve, and document highly complex wireless network problems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience managing and designing an enterprise wireless network solution, such as Cisco Aironet or Aruba, on a large scale.
- In-depth knowledge of wireless technologies and standards, including 802.11 standards and CBRS.
- Broad experience with network admission control and authentication platforms such as Aruba ClearPass Policy Manager or Cisco Identity Services Engine, including 802.1x and Guest Portals.
- Comprehensive knowledge of network and service automation frameworks such as Python, Ansible, or other comparable platforms.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with network routing and VLANs, such as OSPF or IS-IS and BGP, as well as working knowledge of overlay technologies such as MPLS, VXLAN, VPNs (IPSec and SSL), and GRE.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with customers and team members.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours to provide support for network operations and maintenance.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience troubleshooting network connectivity issues using techniques such as packet captures and protocol analysis.
- Significant and demonstrated experience in Network Admission Control and authentication systems.
- Experience training and mentoring team members in wireless network architectures and design.
Qualifications We Desire
- Significant experience with Aruba Mobility systems, Aruba AirWave, ClearPass Policy Manager, and Wireless IDS.
- Relevant industry certifications, such as CWNA or CWNE, Aruba ACMA or ACMP, or Cisco CCNA or CCNP Wireless, or significant demonstrated industry experience.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.