Bionanomaterials - Postdoctoral Researcher
- Livermore, CA, USA
- Job Code 1: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
- Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
- Category: Postdoctoral/Fellowship
- Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
- Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
- Position Type: Post Doctoral
- Referral Bonus: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
We are seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to support the work on an NIH funded project on technology development for biological imaging with X-ray free electron X-ray lasers (XFELs). The research emphasis will be on developing and applying advanced sample introduction techniques for time-resolved structural and functional studies of biomolecules using XFELs, such as the Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS), the SPring-8 Angstrom Compact free electron Laser (SACLA), the European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser (EuXFEL) or other applicable x-ray sources. You will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team. You will present your work regularly and publish your research and findings, which includes occasional domestic travel. This position is in the Bionanomaterials group of the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
In this role you will:
- Develop and apply improved sample introduction techniques, such as polymer-based microfluidics and chips or micro-droplet streams, for time-resolved structural and functional studies of biomolecules at XFELs.
- Participate in the design, preparation, and execution of related scientific experiments at XFELs and synchrotron light sources. Some beam times may take place off hours, i.e., nights and/or weekends.
- Participate in sample preparation and/or sample characterization before beam times.
- Participate in data analysis and compilation of results.
- Collaborate with others at LLNL in a multidisciplinary team environment, as well as researchers at other national laboratories, industry, and academia to accomplish research goals.
- Analyze and present results at external conferences, seminars, and technical meetings.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in bioengineering, physical chemistry, biophysics, or related field.
- Experience with clean room and/or benchtop device fabrication, for example fabrication of polymer micro/nanostructures, graphene, thin polymer films, and/or microfluidics.
- Experience designing, implementing and operating advanced instrumentation and experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Experience in preparing and conducting experiments at synchrotron or XFEL light sources, in particular, experiments related to structure determination, X-ray diffraction, and/or X-ray spectroscopy.
- Ability to develop independent research and find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems and achieve program goals in a timely fashion.
- Availability to work nights and weekends to monitor synchrotron light sources.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications, and deliver scientific presentations.
Qualifications We Desire:
- Experience with techniques and sample preparation for structural and/or functional characterization of large biomolecules and familiarity with analytical scientific computing (e.g. python) and unix/linux file systems.
- Experience with sample introduction techniques for XFEL and/or synchrotron studies of biomolecules and experience with micro/nanodroplet generation.
- Experience with serial femtosecond crystallography and/or serial crystallography approaches and experience with pump-probe, stopped flow, rapid mixing, or other techniques for time resolved studies of biological dynamics.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.