NIF Radiochemistry - Postdoctoral Researcher
- Livermore, CA, USA
- Job Code 1: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
- Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
- Category: Physical Life Sciences
- Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
- Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
- Position Type: Post Doctoral
- Referral Bonus: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a major role in development of novel radiochemical separation and delivery techniques at the micro scale for production of targets for high energy density programs. This position is in the Nuclear and Radiochemistry group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Develop delivery systems (injection and vacuum assisted) for adding microliters of radionuclides into ignition capsules for high energy density experiments.
- Perform sample and data analysis and interpret results.
- Develop experimental methods, separation techniques, and analysis approaches needed to collect and isolate radioactive isotopes produced at accelerator facilities.
- Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Document research, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in nuclear chemistry, nuclear physics, nuclear engineering, radiochemistry, chemical engineering, or related field.
- Experience with laboratory instrumentation and associated software controls and designing, assembling, and running nuclear science experiments based on radiochemical or nuclear chemistry methods.
- Experience with charged-particle and gamma-ray detectors and radiation counting and their associated data analyses.
- Ability to safely work with radioactive materials (> 1 microCurie).
- Ability to develop experimental methods, separation techniques, and analysis approaches needed to collect and isolate radioactive isotopes produced at accelerator facilities.
- Experience with radionuclide separation methods, such as liquid-liquid extraction, ion exchange chromatography or solvent extraction.
- Experience in experimental nuclear science to help solve a variety of programmatic challenges in national security, with experience in data analysis and interpretation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with vacuum and cryogenic systems and techniques.
- Experience working on high energy density experimental facilities, such as short pulse laser systems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.