Scientific Associate - Active Security Clearance Required
- Livermore, CA, USA
- Job Code 1: 302.1 Scientific Associate
- Job Code 2: 302.2 Sr Scientific Associate
- Organization: ESH and Quality
- Category: Environmental, Safety & Health
- Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
- Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
- Position Type: Career Indefinite
- Referral Bonus: $500
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Scientific Associate. You will collaborate with senior technical personnel and scientists to lead and provide technical support and solve technical problems involving the calibration, maintenance, and repair of industrial hygiene and respiratory protection instruments, conduct HEPA filter testing following ES&H and Quality Assurance/Quality Control guidelines, and assist in the fit-testing, maintenance and distribution of respirators. This position is in the Respirator Services and Industrial Hygiene Instrumentation group in ES&H Technical Services.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Organize and lead technical support services provided by the Instrumentation Laboratories, acting as a liaison between the ES&H disciplines, field technicians and clients to provide safe, reliable portable industrial hygiene or radiation monitoring instrumentation and/or respirators in a timely manner.
- Organize and lead high level technical personnel to maintain, trouble shoot and make mechanical and/or electrical repairs to portable industrial hygiene or radiation monitoring instrumentation, respiratory protection instrumentation, and supporting equipment including calibration and QA/QC of Critical Measuring &Testing Equipment (M&TE).
- Establish procedures and perform moderately complex routine technical procedures related to the testing of HEPA/HEGA filters. Solve complex technical issues associated with assessing the operation of aerosol/compressed air generators, measuring efficiency using photometers, measuring pressure drop across filters, measuring airflow through filters to identify if equipment is functioning properly and if not, identifying and implementing the necessary correction steps.
- Establish procedures and perform moderately complex routine technical procedures related to fit-testing, leak-testing, cleaning, repairing, and maintaining respirators, testing breathing air quality of supplied air respiratory systems, and inspecting SCBA units across the site.
- Analyze test result data to identify deficiency points on specific devices, suggest corrective action and maintain records of results to guide QA efforts for the Instrument Laboratories.
- Serve as a resource to assist clients in safe work practices to ensure compliance with established ES&H requirements. Provide safety criteria, instrument, and respirator training to clients.
- Develop laboratory and instrument-related procedures (e.g., operating procedures and calibration methods) to ensure high standards of quality assurance and quality control and oversee continuous QA improvement efforts in collaboration with group members and the Responsible Individual. Serve as a backup for the Responsible Individual.
- Employ computer tracking systems to maintain equipment inventory control of all portable industrial hygiene or radiation monitoring safety related instrumentation and/or respirators. Enter repair and calibration data into computer tracking systems. Monitor work activities and results stored in databases to identify trends that may indicate an unrecognized problem. Order instruments and supplies using LLNL systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 302.2 level
- Mentor and train technicians in the Respirator Services and Industrial Hygiene Instrumentation groups. Foster staff development and participate in hiring activities.
- Provide administrative oversight for IH instrument and respirator technicians and participate in performance evaluation, peer grouping, and salary management processes.
- Participate in planning, budgeting, decision making, and change processes.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time if hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in scientific field, environmental technology or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Ability to lead, mentor and train technicians in the Instrumentation Laboratories. Foster staff development and participate in hiring activities.
- Provide administrative oversight and technical leadership for instrument and/or respirator technicians and participate in performance evaluation, peer grouping, and salary management processes.
- Participate in planning, budgeting, decision making, and change processes. Interact with personnel external to LLNL and represent LLNL on issues of significance.
- Technical skills and abilities demonstrating independent decision making, trouble shooting, and problem-solving to calibrate instruments, obtain data, and prepare reports.
- Experience operating and maintaining ES&H-related measurement and/or monitoring equipment or other analytical equipment of similar complexity.
- Effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills demonstrated through prepared procedures, presentations, training, and client interactions.
- Ability to organize work to manage and perform multiple work tasks in a high pressure, time-limited environment.
- Understanding of the application of work control or work permitting procedures for employee health and safety.
Additional qualifications, at the 302.2 level
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and abilities in coordinating technical services including inventory and purchasing responsibilities.
- Experience preparing or revising instructions or operating procedures to ensure quality assurance related to M&TE equipment and employee health and safety.
- Knowledge of budgeting or hiring processes or experience managing project budgets.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience applying database inventories for tracking, repairing, and replacement for equipment life cycles.
- Experience assessing and mitigating emergency and occupational hazards
- Familiarity with LLNL software tools and procurement systems including EAP, LINCS, ServiceNow, ShipIT, and Property Management.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.