Chemical and Materials Science - Postdoctoral Researcher
- Livermore, CA, USA
- Job Code 1: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
- Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
- Category: Postdoctoral/Fellowship
- Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
- Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
- Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
- Position Type: Post Doctoral
- Referral Bonus: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in chemistry and materials science of actinide elements. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of materials scientists and chemists applying existing and developing new synthesis, processing, and manufacturing techniques for uranium and plutonium.
In this role you will
- Conduct synthesis of novel actinide precursors in air free environments (glovebox and Schlenk Line).
- Drive improvements and innovation for aqueous purification of actinides and/or pyrochemical processing of plutonium.
- Evaluate existing methods and devise improvements for forensic signatures in state of the art processing of actinides.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the development of novel concepts in manufacturing techniques to meet sponsor needs in appropriate national security areas.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in chemical engineering, chemistry, materials science, radiochemistry or related field.
- Experience in synthesis, purification, or other processing of actinide materials.
- Broad experience and fundamental knowledge of chemistry or materials science of the actinide elements.
- Experience with air free environments such as gloveboxes or Schlenk Lines and handling of radioactive materials.
- Ability to develop independent research projects and publish in peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of or experience in uranium synthesis.
- Experience with anion exchange and precipitation techniques.
- Experience with pyrochemical processing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.