Associate Director, Medical Science Liaisons
- Watertown, MA, USA
Kala is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of therapeutics using its proprietary AMPPLIFY TM mucus-penetrating particle (MPP) Drug Delivery Technology, with an initial focus on the treatment of eye diseases. Kala has applied the AMPPLIFY Drug Delivery Technology to a corticosteroid, loteprednol etabonate (LE), designed for ocular applications, resulting in recently approved INVELTY TM for the treatment of inflammation and pain following ocular surgery and its lead product candidate, KPI-121 0.25%, for the temporary relief of the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease, for which a New Drug Application (NDA) has been filed with the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and a target action date under the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) has been set for August 15, 2019.
This position will assist with the development and execution of field medical strategy to support INVELTYSTM launch and pre-approval Medical Affairs activities for dry eye disease and pipeline development. This position will also establish appropriate strategic partnership with centers of excellence, institutions, consultants and KOLs in areas of scientific interest. Come join an experienced and highly motivated team!
Key Responsibilities for this role will include:
- Work closely with Senior Director, Medical Science Liaisons to develop and execute field medical strategy, plans, and projects
- Assist with hiring and training of field-based Medical Science Liaison team
- Serve as a medical representative on standing and project-based cross functional teams including, but not limit to publication, medical communication, medical information, clinical development and regulatory as assigned by VPMA.
- As delegated by VPMA, provide medical review of promotional and non-promotional materials.
- Act as a company representative interacting with external scientific leaders, managed care organizations, patient advocacy groups and/or regulatory authorities
- Provide therapeutic expertise in medical review of Investigator Initiated Research (IIR) proposals, educational grant and company sponsored clinical studies.
- PharmD, MD, DO, OD or PhD
- Board certification in ophthalmology or optometry is preferred or at least 4 years of experience working in industry on an ophthalmic product
- >5 years of experience in biopharmaceutical Medical Affairs
- Experience leading field-based teams
- Medical Director or Medical Science Liaison with ophthalmic experience preferred
- Clinical development experience preferred
- Ability to travel up to 80%
- Ability to be available for early or late meetings and attendance at scientific meetings on holidays and weekends
- Comfort with some ambiguity
- Enjoyment from building structure and processes
- Ability to adjust priorities on the fly
Kala Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer that offers a competitive and comprehensive employee benefits packagetion will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.