Managing Director of School Operations
- Start Date: Immediate opening
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
KIPP KC is part of a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory charter schools with a track record of preparing students in educationally underserved communities for success in college and in life.
Together with families and communities, KIPP Kansas City Public Schools works to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence they need to pursue the paths they choose - college, career, and beyond - so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world. We are a Pre-K through 12th grade school located in the historical 18th and Vine District. We are part of a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory charter schools with a track record of preparing students in educationally underserved communities for success in life. KIPP KC opened its first school, KIPP Endeavor Academy, in 2007 with approximately 31 fifth grade students. Today, KIPP Kansas City has grown to serve students in Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade and is currently educating approximately 1,000 students.
The Managing Director of School Operations Manager is the operational leader across ourschools. The MDSO is a member of the regional leadership team and is responsible for our school’s operational excellence through leading the operations team and key operational functions. The operations team's goal is to ensure operational efficiency so that instructional leaders can focus on academic and instructional excellence.
The Managing Director of School Operations will report to the Executive Director and will manage the Front Office Coordinators, Nurse, Regional Procedures, School Security, Transportation, & Communication systems. They will run weekly meetings with the key operations team members to ensure functions are running smoothly across all KIPP KC schools. They will embrace innovation and continuous improvement, be willing to do the work on the ground with teachers and leaders, and relish the challenge of finding ways to work smarter.
- Ensure 100% student enrollment at two key reporting deadlines (8/14 and 10/1)
- Achieve 90% student attendance for the KIPP:KC region at the end of each academic quarter.
- Score 80% on regional procedure rubrics during fall and spring EKGs.
Reporting to the Executive Director, your core responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Managing and Development Others
- Manages and develops Front Office Coordinators and Nurses on both campuses
- Develops existing FOC/Nurse through professional development program so that all operations leaders are fully trained in key operational areas so they can best lead and support their individual school’s operational functions
- Develop training modules for each operational area that FOC/Nurse leads at his or her school and when needed identifies local and state training necessary for development.
- Creates/enhances an on-boarding program for new FOC/Nurse, differentiated for existing schools and school start-ups
- Supports, coaches and is jointly accountable with the School Leader for the professional development of the FOC/Nurse; Depending on tenure or development needs of each FOC/Nurse, conducts weekly or bi-weekly O3s with FOC/Nurse
- Develops and holds FOCs responsible for completing all attendance tasks: sending out attendance reports, reconciling attendance from teacher reporting, late students, and early dismissal students.
Regional Procedures & Systems
- Creates vision for key operational procedures including but not limited to:emergency drills, key procedures like: transportation, before and after school care, chromebooks/ipads, field trips, nurse, transportation consequences
- Create a vision and system for supply management and movement of supplies between buildings
- Leads the process of observing and giving, in the moment feedback, on key procedures; Collects data on key procedures and shares feedback with other leaders to improve practice.
- Creates vision (minute by minute) of events field trips, family nights, family conferences, Back to School Night, Parent Teacher Organization meetings, etc. including communication with key vendors for chances.
- Creates vision around all parent communication systems and then implements in conjunction with the Data Manager and Principals. (Parent Square)
- Manages the KIPP:KC website and social media platforms.
- Collaborates with KIPP Foundation and Website partners to implement vision for KIPP:KC brand.
- Creates letters as necessary for planned and emergent communication with families. Examples: lice, testing, weapon, etc.
- Designs marketing materials as needed for the ED, Head of Talent, and Development Director around events and key initiatives.
Oversee Transportation Systems: First Student and Assist
- Manage partnership with bus company and additional transportation services
- Manages system and FOC to communicate with families regarding routes and changes
- Establishes systems with FOCs to handle all discipline student infractions on the bus with consistency and in alignment with the KIPP:KC handbook
- Communicate with school leaders, all staff, and families regarding late bus contingency plans
- Collaborate with Principals regarding key routines and procedures such as arrival and dismissal
- Manages FOC to secure Transportation for Athletics, KIPP Forward, and school level field trips as needed
Kids in Seats
- Leads the execution of KIPP KC’s the attendance playbook with FOC and ensures that all stakeholders implement the attendance process daily, weekly, and monthly to meet attendance goals.
- Manages the Front Office Coordinators to ensure that we are fully enrolled throughout the school year.
- Manages the Front Office Coordinators to ensure that re-enrollment processes are followed.
- Creates vision and manages the implementation of student recruitment and orientation processes across the region.
- Manage and develop the security team for all KIPP:KC campuses
- Partner with Joffee to implement safety and security procedures across schools
- Research and stay up to date on national and state school safety laws and regulations
- Create and implement procedures to evaluate school security and provide feedback to HoS and Principals
Financial Health & Sustainability
- Follows all budget and tracking systems provided from the MD of Finance
- Participates in regional budget planning in conjunction with the regional team to ensure long term financial sustainability for the region.
- Collaborates daily with vendors and facility partners around the daily functions of the school day as applicable (before and after care, transportation, etc.)
- Collaborate with MD of Finance regarding contracts, expectations and issues.
Student Academics & Support
- Serve as the State Testing Coordinator for the region. Ensure that precode up through testing execution is supervised and coordinated
- Work with with school leadership on testing schedules and materials management during state testing
- Serve as the primary point of contact for KIPP KC’s Before and After School Programming.
- 5 or more years of direct management, team management and coaching experience of others
- Experience in Pre-K to 12 School Operations or Instructional Leadership in the school setting
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Advanced degree in business, management, economics, finance, education, or related field is preferred
- Demonstrated project management or strategic planning experience
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Suit
- Experience in data analysis and systems is preferred
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, KIPP KC offers a comprehensive benefits package including health coverage and retirement.