[2023-2024] Managing Director of School Operations
- Start Date: Next year opening
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
KIPP Capital Region is a part of a national network of high-performing public Charter Schools committed to creating joyful, academically excellent, and prepared students with the skills, ability, and confidence to pursue their paths to college, career, and beyond.
Located in both Albany and Troy, NY, KIPP Capital Region serves 2,500+ students in grades K-12 across seven schools. We believe every individual walks through the doors of schools bearing gifts. Talent. Perspective. Drive. Inspiration. So at KIPP Capital Region, we support every student and educator to see those gifts, then build the skills and confidence they need to thrive.
We are committed to furthering anti-racism, equity, and racial justice in all our efforts, and expect all of our stakeholders to participate in this work so that we can create a future without limits for our students, together.
The Managing Director of School Operations is responsible for the overall quality of operational programming at the elementary school level and is solely focused on ensuring elementary schools have the support they need to deliver excellent school operations management.
Managerial Leadership and Team Development
- Manages 3+ School Directors of Operations across the Region.
- Supervises the Directors of Operations (DOO) in creating and implementing their school operational plans and priorities and managing schools to region wide benchmark operations management goals.
- Collaborates with the Chief Operating Officer to deliver effective professional development to DOOs, including planning and delivering effective Professional Development.
- Supports the development of DOOs in designing and leveraging their secondary leadership teams and establishing an effective operations partnership.
- Serves as a thought partner to direct reports as they lead their respective teams; coaches and supports direct reports to address their key roles and responsibilities.
- Supervises DOOs in creating and implementing effective professional development opportunities for their teams.
- Completes tri-annual performance evaluations of direct reports: BOY, MOY, and EOY.
- Supports the development of School Operations Teams and successor leaders across all schools.
- Builds a strong, cohesive Operational team culture that reflects KIPP Capital Region values and vision.
School Operational Management
- Effectively support and develop a team of school-based Directors of Operations to provide outstanding school operations through their core areas of responsibility, including daily school systems, financial management, compliance, testing, and student enrollment
- Support and coach DOOs to meet regional performance metrics and to ensure that regional policies/procedures are implemented at the school level.
- Develop and manage operations initiatives within the region and effectively partner with school Principals to support DOOs in meeting the operational needs of their schools.
- Collaborate in hiring, onboarding, management, and evaluating all operations staff, including Directors of Operations and school-based operations teams.
- Plan and lead regular professional development sessions for the DOO and School Operations communities.
Leadership & Collaboration
- Collaborate with fellow Managing Directors of School Operations to ensure consistent implementation of operations priorities across all schools.
- Partner with regional support teams on all region-specific initiatives and systems.
- Serve as the liaison between school and regional teams to identify issues and implement sustainable solutions.
- Help formulate and implement a region-wide operations strategy and calendar of key data analysis events.
- Serve as a role model as a leader and manager, investing deeply in supporting and developing team members and growing their capacity to learn, contribute and engage in the work of the team and organization.
Data Use, Data Reporting & Analysis
- Build and maintain data reports and visualizations to display operational school management results and key performance metrics.
- Support school-based operational staff using data tools and reports for continuous improvement.
- Provide additional data reporting and analysis for external accountability, compliance, surveys, operations evaluation, or development tasks.
- Analyze operations performance management data to identify gaps in school operational design and make necessary adjustments for successful outcomes and compliance.
- Perform other duties as outlined by the Chief Operating Officer
- Committed to furthering anti-racism, equity, and racial justice in all our efforts, and expect all our stakeholders to participate in this work so that we can create a future without limits for our students together.
- Complies with all charter, federal, state, and local laws and regulations, including the NYS Department of Education, Department of Health, and NYS Office of Children and Family Services
- Adheres to organization policies and procedures; promotes and supports mission, vision, and values, including developing and participating in internal surveys and data collection for continuous improvement initiatives.
- Commitment to anti-racism and equity
- Strong DEI lens with an exceptional creative power in leading anti-racist practices
- Thrives in a fast-paced, team-oriented, mission-driven culture
- Demonstrates a growth mindset and a desire to continually improve through feedback
- Strong work ethic, entrepreneurial spirit, and flexibility to accommodate the high level of responsibility, multiple priorities, and rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to influence cross-functional teams in a rapidly changing environment.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule outside of regular business hours.
- Ability to create and work within an inclusive environment that honors and supports a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Please note: travel to different KIPP Capital Region schools is required
- Pass a Criminal Background Check
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited College or University
- 4+ years of experience in School Operations Management required; preferably in the charter, private, or public school environment.
- 2+ years' experience in School or Regional Operations with supervisory responsibilities.
- Preferred experience working directly with students in the charter, private, or public school environment.
- Prior experience working in schools and urban communities is preferred
The starting base salary range for this exempt position is $128,300 to $141,800. FOR BEST CONSIDERATION: Please apply by 5/31/2023
When you join KIPP Capital Region, you are joining in on our promise to families that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop a passion for learning and the drive necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in the Capital Region. And while the biggest perk to working at KIPP Capital Region is doing work that makes a lifelong difference in the lives of our students, you'll find that's not the only benefit we offer:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Generous time-off
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Aggressive employer 403(b) contribution match
- Childcare benefits
- Unparalleled work/life Integration
- Casual dress code
- Relocation stipend (conditions apply)
- Travel stipend (conditions apply)
- And so much more! For more information on the benefits of joining KIPP Capital Region, please view our Employee Benefits Summary.
KIPP Capital Region offers a competitive salary ranging from $128,300 to $141,800. Salaries are determined using an equitable compensation scale that accounts for years of experience relevant to the role and longevity within the KIPP network. KIPP Capital Region will evaluate and determine the step/level a new hire will be placed within our salary grade scale at point of hire.
All staff and educators at KIPP Capital Region are committed to anti-racism and inclusion, are part of a close-knit diverse community, and are encouraged to show up authentically, inspiring our children to do the same. Learn more about what it’s like to work at KIPP Capital Region: kippcapital.org/join-our-team/
This role is located at KIPP Capital Region schools in Albany, NY.