KIPP KC - Middle School Principal
- Grade Level: Elementary
- Start Date: Next year opening
- Department: School Leadership
KIPP KC was founded in 2007 with our middle school serving grades 5-8. In 2017 we opened our elementary school, our high school in 2021, and today we serve just 900 students in grades PreK-11.
We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives.
Principal - Position Overview
The Principal reports to the Head of Schools. In support of the mission of KIPP Kansas City, the Assistant Principal is responsible for leading and building capacity of all Grade Level Chairs, Content Leads, and teachers to implement and continuously develop exceptional instruction, a strong focus on results and continuous improvement, and a culture of consistent and high expectations.
The Principal works from the belief that excellent schools develop and sustain the capacity for teachers to lead and take ownership of their classroom, grade level, and school’s success. The Principal manages Assistant Principals and teacher leaders to be their most effective in empowering students to achieve at high levels and grow in personal character. The ideal candidate possesses instructional and coaching experience with a proven track record of achieving outstanding academic results.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage a cohort of teachers to achieve their individual development goals, coordinate action plans for professional growth, and evaluate progress in each goal
- Provide continuous coaching and evaluation on all competencies of the KIPP Teaching Competency Model
- Support the development of teacher-driven professional goals through a regular observation feedback cycle and data cycle
- Perform quarterly performance reviews of a cohort of teachers
- Collaborate with the School Leader to plan and implement teacher professional development, including coordination of action research collaboratives and whole-staff professional development sessions
Curriculum & Assessment Leadership
- Support and facilitate assessment operations and data analysis system
- Support Content Leads in curriculum alignment, development, data analysis, and planning and running team meetings
- Oversee and ensure accountable implementation of assessment design and data analysis; accountable forms of assessment
- Evaluate school performance data to make holistic as well as individual recommendations for improving school-wide instructional practices
School Culture & Character Development Leadership
- Design processes and protocols for enhancing school culture and determine when and how to modify rituals, systems and practices for the overall betterment of the school
- Oversee consistent implementation and upholding of cultural expectations
- Support teachers with student accountability and discipline matters, including coordinating and facilitating student-teacher interventions and parent-teacher-student interventions.
- Manage responses to parent concerns not resolved at the teacher or Grade Chair level
- Support academic and cultural programming in determined grade levels
- Support in management of detention, lunch duty, or other duties as assigned by Principal
Skills and Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree required
At least 4 years of teaching experience and a strong record of helping underserved students achieve academic success
Experience with curriculum development and instructional methodology
Past experience leading adults in a school environment
Flexibility and willingness to actively participate in school community including, but not limited to: teaching classes and tutoring students, chaperoning overnight school trips, working with parents and families
Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail; outstanding written and oral communication skills
Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
Proactive problem solver who demonstrates initiative and teamwork
Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work
Commitment to the belief that all students can learn and to the mission of educational equity
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, KIPP Kansas City offers a comprehensive benefits package including health coverage and retirement.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.