Dean of Academics
- Start Date: Next year opening
- Department: School-based Support
KIPP Capital Region is a part of a national network of high-performing public Charter Schools committed to creating joyful, academically excellent, and prepared students with the skills, ability, and confidence to pursue their paths to college, career, and beyond.
Located in both Albany and Troy, NY, KIPP Capital Region serves 2,500+ students in grades K-12 across seven schools. We believe every individual walks through the doors of schools bearing gifts. Talent. Perspective. Drive. Inspiration. So at KIPP Capital Region, we support every student and educator to see those gifts, then build the skills and confidence they need to thrive.
We are committed to furthering anti-racism, equity, and racial justice in all our efforts, and expect all of our stakeholders to participate in this work so that we can create a future without limits for our students, together.
The Academic Dean (AD) will provide instructional support and coaching to teachers as they work to ensure that each student is able to reach his or her academic potential. The Academic Dean will also support academic operations as it relates to curriculum, assessments, and aspects of the school’s instructional guidelines. The AD's primary role is to work with teachers and leaders to support best practices in using data, provide analysis of school-wide trends in instruction, and make recommendations about potential next steps to address areas of need. The AD will also serve as a senior leadership team member and be responsible for implementing and overseeing various enabling systems for academic operations and teacher development.
● As an advisor to teachers and the leadership team, the AD is responsible for four main areas: a) observing instructional delivery and providing feedback to enhance and support the development of each teacher's content area by supporting teachers in the design of units and lessons for the development of their year-long curriculum, b) analyzing data in order to modify curriculum and forms of assessment to meet students; needs, and c) working with the academic staff (grade-level chairs, assistant principals, principals) in the school to support sharing of best practices.
● The AD will work collaboratively with the school personnel to advise principals and teachers on developing instructional strategies and intervention programs for struggling students.
● Work with the Content Academic Team on designing and implementing school-wide assessments; work collaboratively with campus-based leaders to make instructional decisions based on student performance.
● Cultivate a standards-based, data and results-oriented culture.
● Observe teachers and provide specific strategies for improved instructional delivery
● Work with teachers and school leadership teams to create and improve aligned curriculum resources.
● Collaborate with teachers in determining appropriate resources and support for teachers.
● Support teachers by providing feedback on lessons and assessments that align with school college-readiness standards and serve as an expert in national trends and best practices in curriculum development and instructional strategy for historically underachieving students.
● As a leader on the academic team, make recommendations on best practices for supporting curriculum alignment across all grade levels within the specified content area for all grade levels.
● Serve as a teacher coach by providing expert advice on improving and enhancing individual lessons and units based on ongoing analysis. This will include, but is not limited to:
● Reviewing lesson plans, unit plans, and assessments
● Understanding scope and sequence models
● Observing classroom instruction and offering comprehensive analysis and feedback
● Providing instructional strategy best practice training, as needed
● Developing and facilitating professional development
● Supporting the development of curriculum, using the backward design model and advising scope and sequence based on essential content knowledge that addresses local, state and national standards.
● Develop, execute and oversee aspects of instructional guidelines; including but not limited to:
● adherence to assessment calendars
● data entry (grades)
● data analysis/ action planning
Demonstrated passion for and a commitment to the mission and vision for high-quality public education and the character traits we value: Affirmation, Joyful, Excellence, Community, Collective Power, and Optimism.
● Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred
● At least 4 years as a lead teacher required
● At least 1-year experience in school leadership with instructional
coaching and curriculum development and oversight required.
● Proficiency in managing a team, coaching teachers, and/or designing
curriculum preferably in the charter, private, or public school environment.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule outside of regular business hours.
● Aptitude to create and work within an inclusive environment that honors and
supports a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives
● Experience developing academic policies, systems, and school-wide analysis
and data collection required
The physical demands described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
● Prolonged periods are sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
● Must be able to access and navigate all areas of the school and other
facilities as needed.
● Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to
● The employee needs to read, write and speak English fluently.
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use fingers to type, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance; stoop/bend and reach, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk, hear.
● Dexterity requires writing and operating standard office machines such as computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, phones, and calculators.
● Ability to occasionally lift and move up to 20 pounds.
When you join KIPP Capital Region, you are joining in on our promise to families that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop a passion for learning and the drive necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in the Capital Region. And while the biggest perk to working at KIPP Capital Region is doing work that makes a lifelong difference in the lives of our students, you'll find that's not the only benefit we offer:
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Aggressive employer 403(b) contribution match
- Childcare benefits
- Unparalleled work/life Integration
- Casual dress code
- Relocation stipend (conditions apply)
- And so much more! For more information on the benefits of joining KIPP Capital Region, please view our Employee Benefits Summary.
KIPP Capital Region offers a competitive salary ranging from $57,000 - $63,000. Salaries are determined using an equitable compensation scale that accounts for years of experience relevant to the role and longevity within the KIPP network. KIPP Capital Region will evaluate and determine the step/level a new hire will be placed within our salary grade scale at the point of hire.
All staff and educators at KIPP Capital Region are committed to anti-racism and inclusion, are part of a close-knit diverse community, and are encouraged to show up authentically, inspiring our children to do the same. Learn more about what it’s like to work at KIPP Capital Region: kippcapital.org/join-our-team/
This role is located at KIPP Capital Region schools in Albany, NY.