[2023-2024] Social Worker - Middle School
- Grade Level: Middle
- Start Date: Next year opening
- Department: School-based Support
KIPP Capital Region is a part of a national network of high-performing public Charter Schools committed to creating joyful, academically excellent, and prepared students with the skills, ability, and confidence to pursue their paths to college, career, and beyond.
Located in both Albany and Troy, NY, KIPP Capital Region serves 2,500+ students in grades K-12 across seven schools. We believe every individual walks through the doors of schools bearing gifts. Talent. Perspective. Drive. Inspiration. So at KIPP Capital Region, we support every student and educator to see those gifts, then build the skills and confidence they need to thrive.
We are committed to furthering anti-racism, equity, and racial justice in all our efforts, and expect all of our stakeholders to participate in this work so that we can create a future without limits for our students, together.
- Grade(s): 5th - 8th
The Social Worker is responsible for identifying and assisting students, families, and school systems in overcoming barriers that interfere with learning through assessment, counseling, consultation, and school and community resources coordination.
- Conduct assessments of individuals and families to improve student social, emotional, behavioral, and academic outcomes.
- Utilize knowledge of human behavior, social and emotional competencies, and community systems to guide service delivery.
- Provide consultation to school personnel, parents/guardians, and community partners to enhance their understanding of student needs, develop effective interventions, and build school capacity.
- Conduct reliable and valid assessments of students and families to inform the design of interventions to remove barriers to learning.
- Act as a liaison with community agencies to ensure continuity of services.
- Responds to crises, including de-escalating and engaging youth, processing said incidents, and developing safety plans as required.
- Develop, complete, maintain, and track all appropriate mandatory documentation promptly according to organizational policies and regulatory requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Commitment to School and Classroom Culture
- Work collaboratively with your school team and those across KIPP Albany
- Help develop school-wide culture that best fits the needs of our students, teachers and families
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings and communicate openly with staff
- Develop positive rapport with students
- Create and foster a positive and calm learning environment
- Enforce, uphold, and exhibit school’s values, student management policies and culture
- Ensure that students and their families are provided services within the context of multicultural understanding and competence.
- Empower students and families to gain access to and effectively utilize school and community resources.
- Make him/herself available to students, parents and other staff members
- Pursue challenging professional goals each year
- Willing to offer support and receive constructive feedback from colleagues in order to create a professional working atmosphere that is conducive to change and improvement
- Master’s degree in Social Work or related counseling field from an accredited College or University required
- NYS Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW), Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), or Licensed Master Social Worker Advanced Practitioner (LMSW-AP).
- Experience as a Social Worker or School Counselor, preferably in a charter or public school environment, preferred
- Prior experience working in schools and urban communities is preferred but not required.
- Aptitude to create and work within an inclusive environment that honors and supports a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives.
When you join KIPP Capital Region, you are joining in on our promise to families that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop a passion for learning and the drive necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in the Capital Region. And while the biggest perk to working at KIPP Capital Region is doing work that makes a lifelong difference in the lives of our students, you'll find that's not the only benefit we offer:
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Aggressive employer 403(b) contribution match
- Childcare benefits
- Unparalleled work/life Integration
- Casual dress code
- Relocation stipend (conditions apply)
- And so much more! For more information on the benefits of joining KIPP Capital Region, please view our Employee Benefits Summary.
KIPP Capital Region offers a competitive salary ranging from $56,440 - $113,927. Salaries are determined using an equitable compensation scale that accounts for years of experience relevant to the role and longevity within the KIPP network. KIPP Capital Region will evaluate and determine the step/level a new hire will be placed within our instructional salary scale at point of hire.
All staff and educators at KIPP Capital Region are committed to anti-racism and inclusion, are part of a close-knit diverse community, and are encouraged to show up authentically, inspiring our children to do the same. Learn more about what it’s like to work at KIPP Capital Region: kippcapital.org/join-our-team/
This role is located at KIPP Capital Region schools in Troy, NY.