Campus Security Coordinator
- Department: School-based Support
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP KC is part of a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory charter schools with a track record of preparing students in educationally underserved communities for success in college and in life.
Together with families and communities, KIPP Kansas City Public Schools works to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence they need to pursue the paths they choose - college, career, and beyond - so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world. We are a Pre-K through 11th grade school located in the historical 18th and Vine District. We are part of a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory charter schools with a track record of preparing students in educationally underserved communities for success in life. KIPP KC opened its first school, KIPP Endeavor Academy, in 2007 with approximately 31 fifth grade students. Today, KIPP Kansas City has grown to serve students in Pre-Kindergarten through 11th grade and is currently educating approximately 850 students.
As a Campus Security Coordinator, you will be responsible for the follow duties in these three primary functions:
- School safety and compliance
- Community liaison
Safety and Compliance
- Collaborate with community agencies (law enforcement, courts, mental health, etc.) for ensuring the safety and security of the campus and our students
- Patrol school facilities (e.g. grounds, roads, buildings, adjacent areas, parking lots, etc.) for the purpose of providing visibility, maintaining security and deterring criminal activities
- Provide traffic and parking control during arrival and dismissal and during special events for the purpose of maintaining efficient traffic flow and use of parking lots
- Respond after school and on the weekend to a variety of situations (accidents, injuries, vandalism, suspicious activities, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking the appropriate action to resolve immediate safety and/or security concerns
- Ensure school staff’s safety by being present during emergency situations which may involve weapons, controlled dangerous substances or in such cases that the student’s emotional state may present a risk to the student and/or staff
- Assist school staff in emergency crisis planning and building security matters and training school personnel in handling crisis situations
- Proactively work with the school’s leadership team to collaborate on safety protocols and procedures
- Serve as the initial first responder and school safety coordinator for campus emergencies.
- Subdue offenders and criminals by using the minimum amount of force needed to protect the officer and other persons involved
- Conduct and monitors fire drills, tornado drills, lockdowns and other emergency procedure drills for the purpose of complying with state guidelines
- Prepare written materials or watch security footage (e.g. incident reports, referrals, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information
- Maintain a variety of files and records (e.g. schedules, incident reports, emergency drill records, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of information for future reference and/or audit for compliance to established policies
- Manage the RAPTOR system and ensure that all visitors follow the protocols of sign in the front office
- Serve as a formal mentor for students who need another advocate
- Work with the guidance counselor and other student support staff to assist students and to provide services to students involved in situations where referrals to service agencies are necessary
- Assist in conflict resolution efforts
- Identify and prevent (through building strong relationships, counseling and referral) negative behavior, including substance abuse, bullying and fights
- Greet and welcome parents, students and community members
- Initiate positive interactions with students in the general areas of the school building (hallways, cafeteria, gym).
- Attend and participate in school functions (such as assemblies, field trips, or other other events as requested by school leadership teams)
- Build working relationships with the school’s staff as well as with student and parents
- Serve as a positive role model
Required: Previous work in schools OR with a security company
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, KIPP KC offers a comprehensive benefits package including health coverage and retirement.