KIPP NYC Employee Relations Manager
- New York, NY, USA
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP NYC Public Schools is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in The Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of eight elementary schools, nine middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Forward, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC Public Schools currently serves more than 9,350 students and alumni and has a staff of more than 850. KIPP NYC is continuing to grow and opened two new middle schools and an elementary school August 2021!
The Employee Relations Manager is an essential member of KIPP NYC People Team and will be responsible for the overall support of specific KIPP NYC schools. The Employee Relations Manager will help facilitate and manage employee relations and employee experience fro all KIPP NYC employees. This position will report into the Senior Director, Employee Experience.
This position is based out of the KIPP NYC Shared Services Team (SST) office in Midtown Manhattan but includes travel to our schools in the Bronx.
- Analyzes information and data necessary to define and discern cost and policy implications of negotiations and disputes. This may include management and union proposals, pay scales and wages, benefits, working conditions, and other mitigating circumstances as it relates to employee experiences.
- Uses surveys, interviews, and other studies to conduct research regarding human resource policies, compensation, and other employment issues. After analyzing the information, make recommendations on changes, adjustments or enhancements
- Conducts investigations as concerns around an employee’s experience arise and when a staff member does not adhere to the law or our organization’s policies.
- Researches and explains laws and legal affairs concerning employment to leaders and employees.
- Advises and trains leaders on best employee relations practices and strategies for managing concerns and employee grievances. Develops further training as needed.
- Represents organization in contract negotiations, meetings, and negotiations with employee and labor organizations as needed.
- Collaborates with leadership on matters of policy and terms of memoranda of understanding before and throughout the employee relations process.
- Collaborates with legal counsel and departments in the preparation for and participation in negotiation with employee and labor groups.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required in Employee Relations, Human Resources or related field
- Minimum 4 years of human resource administration, including 2 years in employee relations OR its equivalent through training, education, and other experience.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred.
- Knowledge of labor laws (EEOC, FMLA, ADA, NYPFL) and HR fundamentals, required
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop productive working relationships with stakeholders across functional and organizational lines, and in controversial or confrontational situations
- Exceptional project management skills with an ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail with an ability to produce high quality work in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated commitment to KIPP NYC’s mission and to high standards of excellence: zest, grit, hope, and social justice
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
KIPP NYC LLC is an anti-racist organization that believes in the importance of being diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We are committed to creating a welcoming environment that includes employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving students and families throughout New York City. BIPOC, women, gender expansive, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.