[2021 - 2022] Special Education Teacher (5-8)
- Durham, NC, USA
- Department: Teacher
- Grade Level: Middle
- Subject: Special Education
- Start Date: Immediate opening
In 2020, KIPP Eastern North Carolina (KIPP ENC) and KIPP Charlotte took the first steps to begin to merge to form KIPP North Carolina Public Schools (KIPP NC). Starting in July of 2021, KIPP NC will be a network of eight high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools providing an academically rigorous and joyous school experience to more than 3,500 students in grades K-12 in Charlotte, Durham, Gaston, and Halifax. Additionally, KIPP NC will support several thousand alumni on their journey to and through high school, college, and career.
KIPP NC will build on a rich tradition of academic excellence and relentless fight for social justice present from the founding of both KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte. KIPP ENC is the second oldest KIPP region in the nation. In its 20 years of operation, KIPP ENC has been a cornerstone for students and families in rural Gaston and Halifax, operating two primary schools, two middle schools, and one high school. Over the past five years, it grew to serve even more students by opening up a middle school in Durham, an urban center in the center part of the state. KIPP Charlotte, which grew out of the strong traditions and academics of KIPP ENC, has supported students and families for the past 13 years, operating one primary school and one middle school in the largest city in North Carolina.
KIPP North Carolina will build upon the successes and experiences of KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte to provide inclusive school environments and an educational program that will enable our students to lead full lives and equip graduates to be future leaders and agents of change in North Carolina and beyond. KIPP NC also will continue to engage in direct, anti-racist work, and it will contribute meaningfully to the dismantling of structures of inequality within our organization, schools, and classrooms. KIPP NC will be committed to expanding our efforts to embed anti-racism in all of our activities and engagements within our classrooms and schools, across our organization, and throughout the State of North Carolina. All of this will be in a tireless effort to create classrooms that are homeplaces for our students, places where they feel safe, loved, validated, seen, and heard, places where all their beautiful identities will be affirmed and celebrated, and places where they will learn the academic knowledge and skills needed for college, career, and beyond.
Your responsibilities as a Lead Teacher
KIPP North Carolina teachers are at the core of our mission to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths needed to succeed throughout their education and in the competitive world beyond. As a KIPP NC Teacher, your core responsibilities include:
Curriculum Development and Instruction
- Adapt and execute a rigorous, standards-aligned curriculum
- Develop academically rigorous lessons, unit plans, rubrics and assessments
- Use data to inform instructional decisions
- Provide students with daily feedback on performance and plan for individual learning needs
Help Build a Positive School and Classroom Culture
- Embody and maintain school’s values, policies and culture
- Develop positive relationships with students, families, teachers and staff
- Establish and maintain strong communication with all parents and share progress
- Show up for critical school events, including: staff meetings, open houses, parent teacher conferences and more
Demonstrate a Growth Mindset
- Pursue challenging professional goals each year
- Give and receive positive and constructive feedback with your colleagues
- Participate in school-wide and individual professional development
Serve EC Students
- Modify or accommodate curriculum, units, and lessons to be accessible to many different learners and support general education teachers in their classrooms.
- Provide all required services to EC students as stated in their Individualized Education Plans.
- Complete annual (or more frequent) Individualized Education Plans to support the learning of all EC students.
- Host annual (or more frequent) Individualized Education Plan meetings, inviting all necessary stakeholders, running the meeting to collaborate on IEPs moving forward, and providing families and teachers with the most up-to-date information on students’ progress.
- Complete all other duties as assigned.
The following are required of all KIPP North Carolina teachers:
- A deep commitment to the mission of KIPP NC and an unwavering belief in the potential of all our students
- An unwavering commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion
- Possess a deep commitment to both racial equity and improving the lives of kids from low-income communities
- Valid North Carolina teaching license in Special Education General Curriculum K-12, ability to seek reciprocity, or willingness to pursue state certification
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant content area
- Passed or will pass the Praxis and Pearson exams by July 2021
- Pass Criminal Background Check
- Demonstrated commitment to closing the opportunity gap
- Zest, grit, professionalism, and a sense of humor
The following are not required but are advantageous for candidates:
- At least 2 full years of teaching experience in K - 5
- Experience in teaching in a high performing charter school and/or schools with a high population of students with free and reduced lunch
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally under-served students
- Fluency in Spanish
**We are providing a bonus to all ESL / EC Teachers who are certified**
We currently offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Healthcare (medical, vision, and dental) with a generous discount for dependents
- Retirement benefits
- KIPP NC technology equipment, including a laptop and phone
- Generous time off:
- PTO starting accrual
- Teacher work days after long breaks
- 26 holidays a year including a week off at Thanksgiving and all major national holidays
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.