2021-2022 Special Education Teacher (Immediate Opening)
- Oklahoma City, OK, USA
- Department: Teacher
- Grade Level: Middle
- Subject: Math
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP OKC is part of the national KIPP network of tuition-free, open enrollment college-preparatory public charter schools dedicated to preparing scholars from most deserving communities for success in college and life.
Who we are: KIPP OKC College Prep Middle School is a high-performing, college-preparatory public charter school. We educate scholars in grades 4-8.
What we do: We set clearly defined and measurable high expectations for academic achievement, social-emotional skill support, and character development in order to create and reinforce a well-rounded culture of achievement. We know that every scholar is different and we personalize learning based on a scholar’s needs, skills, and interests.
How we do it: Great schools require great teachers and school leaders. We empower our educators to lead school teams, and we invest in training to help them grow as professionals. Our schools provide a safe, structured, and nurturing environment with minimal distractions and more time for both academics and character building, so our scholars love school and maximize their learning.
Why it matters: Great education transforms lives. At KIPP OKC, teachers, scholars, and families are all united around the same goal: college and a choice-filled life. We believe that an excellent college-preparatory education will set scholars up for success in whatever life path they choose. When our scholars graduate from 8th grade, they leave us prepared to enroll at high-performing schools of choice. Additionally, our KIPP OKC alumni complete college at a higher rate above the national average for all scholars, and four times higher than that of scholars from similar economic backgrounds.
Instructional Delivery and Assessment:
- Develop year-long Oklahoma State standards-based unit plans and lesson plans that meet all students’ learning needs.
- Use assessment data to modify short and long-term plans in order to promote all scholars’ academic performance.
- Embrace and incorporate feedback in the spirit of constant improvement.
Academic and Cultural Support:
- Collaborate with content and grade-level teams to promote an environment of critical thinking and academic rigor.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with scholars and families based on trust and respect.
- Participate in the daily functions of the school such as morning, lunch, and afternoon supervisory duties.
- Attend critical school events such as staff meetings, open houses, and parent-teacher conferences.
- Develop Individualized Educational Plans (IEPs) and goals for scholars and communicate these plans to families in IEP meetings and parent conferences.
- Meet professional obligations including timeliness and consistency in meeting deadlines.
- KIPP OKC College Prep Director of Special Education
- School Leader
- Build strong relationships with scholars and families.
- Be accessible by school cell phone for homework help until 6:00 PM each school day.
- Participate in parent meetings, conferences, and periodic evening school events.
- Participate in daily duties (i.e. breakfast, lunch, dismissal) to support school operations.
- Maintain accurate gradebook and data tracking systems.
- Assist with both scholar and staff recruitment when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Preference will be given to those who hold a teaching certification.
- Valid Special Education certification required.
- Commitment to and experience with youth of various cultural and lower economic backgrounds (at least 2 years of teaching experience highly preferred).
- Satisfactory outcome of a background check.
Every member of our KIPP OKC Team and Family is able to:
- Explain the importance of culturally relevant teaching within the context of working within communities of color, as well as demonstrate an unyielding belief and desire for all scholars to meet and/or exceed their academic goals.
- Demonstrate an unwavering and personal responsibility to close the racial opportunity gap through knowledge, application, and ownership of equitable and inclusive practices for every scholar and family.
- Embrace challenges, demonstrate willingness to be reflective and vulnerable, utilize criticism to improve practices, communicate when support or clarity is needed, and value feedback as necessary for immediate and long-term development.
- Demonstrate awareness of personal bias, and demonstrate self-reflection by identifying personal strengths and areas of growth.
- Demonstrates willingness to problem solve with colleagues and families, initiates conversations that will result in positive scholar outcomes, and works closely with teachers to ensure the success of every scholar.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary is commensurate with experience. KIPP OKC teachers earn a salary that is an average of $7k more than the surrounding districts.
- Employee health insurance coverage
- Life insurance including AD & D
- Oklahoma Teachers Retirement System contributions
- Compensated leave time for illness or personal reasons
- All staff members are issued a laptop computer and instructional technological equipment.
- Professional growth and leadership opportunities within KIPP OKC.
KIPP OKC is dedicated to equal employment opportunities and fair labor practices. KIPP OKC provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications, and the ability to perform a job without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religious creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, legally protected medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or on any other basis made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.