Immediate Dean of Instruction at KIPP Legacy Preparatory
- Houston, TX, USA
- Department: School Leadership
- Grade Level: Elementary
- Subject: General Early Childhood
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
A KIPP Texas Public Schools Dean will provide assistance to the School Leader with the overall administration of instructional programs and the school. A Dean may focus on a specific area such as faculty, students, or culture or may handle all areas on the campus.
This position furthers the mission of KIPP Texas Public Schools because it helps ensure that all students are equipped with the right tools and a safe environment to learn.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Depending on the focus of the position, the Dean will be responsible for:
• Participate in the development and evaluation of educational programs.
• Encourage and support development of innovative instructional programs, helping teacher pilot such efforts when appropriate.
• Assess curriculum by monitoring syllabi, course overviews, and lesson plans.
• Maintain internal and external assessment systems and help teachers use assessment data to further improve the quality of instruction
• Manage academic support programs such as Saturday School, tutoring, service learning work, etc.
• Regularly check in with faulty to help mediate conversations between faulty members and assess overall morale at school
• Support Leadership with faculty reward programs and activities.
• Observe employee performance, record observations and conduct evaluations.
• Conduct one on ones teachers and grade level or department chairs.
• Collaborate and advise teachers on classroom management methods and interventions
• Ensure the continuous professional development of all staff by collaborating with other Leadership Team members to design, develop, and execute individual and staff-wide professional development
• Assist principal in interviewing, selecting and orienting new staff
• Monitor overall academic progress for students
• Intervene with support when students have challenges with attendance, academics or discipline
• Work with students to set goals and increase student motivation
• Administer discipline actions
• Assist teachers to develop strong partnerships with parents by enhancing communications
• Work closely with faculty to develop strategic plans to monitor compliance of the Commitment to Excellence on behalf of the parents and students.
• Maintain and monitor compliance in areas such as Special Education, 504, LPAC and At-Risk students.
• Coordinate and manage state, district, and local testing.
• May be responsible for the school in the principal’s absence.
Education and Knowledge:
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Prior experience as a highly effective teacher
• Must be considered highly-qualified based on NCLB guidelines, if applicable
• Previous leadership experience preferred
• Ability to establish rapport with families and children
• Ability to work both on broad-based strategy and everyday details
• Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internal and external to the district
• Independent, self-starter with a strong focus on student development and a passion for working with underserved student populations and their families
• Proven written and verbal communication skills with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district
• Strong organizational and planning skills
• Possession of a passionate and loving attitude toward all children
• Possession of a belief in inquiry-based learning and constructivist methods
• Possession of a sense of urgency to do whatever it takes to assure that every student gets to and through college
• Commitment to the vision, mission, values and goals of KIPP Houston
• Motivation to grow as an educational professional
• Desire to implement curriculum, instruction, and assessment that is cutting-edge based on educational research
• Willingness to be an active member of a professional learning community focused on action research within the school and the classroom
• Responsiveness; Follow-up and follow-through with students, families, and faculty members is essential
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
• Proficiency using computers, printers, copy machines, and fax machines
• Ability to travel throughout the district and the city
• Valid Texas Driver license with appropriate insurance coverage
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.