Human Resources Manager (Immediate)
- Lynn, MA, USA
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
- Start Date: Immediate opening
The mission of all of KIPP Massachusetts schools is to create an environment where students develop the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to maximize their potential in high school, college, and the world beyond. Our program is based on:
- A focus on high-quality instruction supported by rigorous professional development to ensure that our students develop the academic skills necessary to pursue the life they choose.
- High regard for character development to ensure that our students and staff celebrate and develop their character and identity strengths.
- An emphasis on family engagement, because we believe that our students are most likely to be able to maximize their potential when we work in partnership with our students and their families.
- A focus on college readiness for all students so that all students can make choices about their post-secondary education and future.
What We Do
We seek to provide a world-class education for students from educationally underserved communities in Lynn and Boston. Our student demographics mirror those of neighborhood schools in terms of race, socioeconomic status, English Language Learners, and students who receive special education services.
Our promise to families is that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop the zest for learning and grit necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in Lynn and Boston.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity Vision
At KIPP Massachusetts, we believe that Knowledge is Power. Every day, our team and family have the opportunity to either perpetuate systems of oppression or disrupt them. We are compelled by the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusivity. Therefore, we continuously commit to operating as an anti-racist organization. Read more at Diversity Equity Inclusivity Vision.
Who We Are
KIPP Massachusetts began enrolling students in 2004. We currently hold two charters, operating two “districts.” Our first district, KIPP Academy Lynn Charter School, is based in Lynn, MA. Our second district, KIPP Academy Boston Charter School, is based in Mattapan, MA. Each district is housed on one or more “campuses,” which we use to refer to different grade spans, for example, elementary grades, middle school grades, or high school grades.
In Lynn, KIPP Academy Lynn Elementary (serving grades K-4), KIPP Academy Lynn Middle (serving grades 5-8), and KIPP Academy Lynn Collegiate (serving grades 9-12), are all under our Lynn charter. Admission to any grade in the Lynn district is admission to all remaining grades in the Lynn district K-12. 66% of our students in Lynn are Hispanic, 23% are Black, and 11% are other races/ethnicities.
KIPP Academy Boston(serving grades K-8) operates under our Boston charter. Admission to any grade in the Boston district is admission to all remaining grades in the Boston district, K-8. 68% of our students in Boston are Black, 30% are Hispanic and 2% are other races/ethnicities.
Across both districts, in the school year, 2020-2021 KIPP Massachusetts will serve over 2,100 students.
KIPP Massachusetts is part of the nation-wide KIPP non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students.
KIPP Massachusetts is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all of our students, families, teachers, staff, and community members.
One of KIPP MA’s highest strategic priorities is supporting its diverse, hard-working staff in all aspects of their wellbeing and effectiveness at work. The Human Resources Manager (HRM) plays a critical role by managing effective Human Resources systems, procedures and policies while providing outstanding customer service to leaders and staff in our schools and regional office. The position is a great fit for someone who is passionate about supporting KIPP MA’s mission and people, embraces continuous improvement and innovation, thrives on a high-performing team, and relishes the challenge of finding ways to work more efficiently.
As a member of the Regional Office Human Resources team, the HRM reports to the Human Resource Director (HRD). The HRM works closely with the Human Resources team, as well as other regional office and school-based leaders and staff. This position is based out of our Regional Office in Lynn and will travel to the various KIPP MA school sites on a regular basis.
If successful, we will see the candidate’s work contribute significantly to our organizational culture in a way that deepens our employee commitment to this community. The ideal candidate for this role will have a general understanding of HR platforms, law, policies and procedures, and an enthusiasm for initiatives that will increase the sustainability of KIPP MA’s hard-working staff.
At KIPP, we believe that an excellent staff member does the following:
- Believes that all of us can and will learn and create a positive learning environment with high expectations for all students and staff throughout the school;
- Thrives as part of a team-oriented, mission-driven culture;
- Exudes joy and a love of learning every single day;
- Demonstrates a growth mindset and a desire to continually improve through feedback, coaching, and professional development;
- Constantly assesses progress, communicates results clearly, and uses data to inform decisions and set ambitious goals.
- Has a strong work ethic and commits to doing whatever it takes for students to excel, including committing to an extended work day and remaining available to colleagues, students, and families outside of school hours
General responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Manage the processes of the following HR functions:
- parental and medical leaves
- employee onboarding, internal transfers, renewals and separations
- unemployment compensation claims
- retirement accounts (MTRS, OBRA and 403b)
- employment verifications
- workers’ compensation
- Project manage annual HR processes, such as benefits open enrollment, recommitment and audits.
- Assist employees with benefits-related questions throughout the year; provide benefits materials and/guidance.
- Support employees in work-life matters
- Support HRD with difficult situations and disciplinary action, including dispute resolution and employee relations
- Design, coordinate, conduct and/or review exit interviews and synthesize data
- Manage and ensure accuracy of staffing data in our HRIS (ADP Workforce Now) and trackers, pulling data reports as requested
- Support HRD with tracking and reporting on data for the MTEL/SEI program.
- Respond to employee questions on MTEL/SEI requirements, financial support, etc.
- Collaborate closely with the team’s other HRM and delegate work to the team’s HR Coordinator, as appropriate.
Qualified candidates have the following:
- Ability to handle a high volume of work with accuracy and efficiency
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Sound judgment; ability to handle sensitive employment information with discretion and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; confidence and interpersonal skills required to work with a broad group of stakeholders with different interests and needs
- Demonstrated commitment to superior customer service
- Highly motivated and self-directed learner
- Alignment with KIPP MA mission, values, culture, and team.
- Bachelor’s Degree required or comparable educational experience (degree or certificate in human resources, business, management, public administration, or related field)
- PHR/SPHR certification preferred
- Experience in managing human resources related functions or people-related process/project management
- Experience in nonprofit setting or K-12 education preferred
- Experience using and managing ADP preferred
- Mid to High proficiency knowledge in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) required
- Familiarity with MA educator licensing requirements a plus
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
- Submit your resume and application through our online job board at https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/KIPP/massachusetts
- The KIPP MA Recruitment Team will select candidates to move forward to the phone interview stage.
- Following the phone interview, the KIPP MA team will invite qualified candidates to interview with KIPP MA School or Regional Office Teams.
KIPP Massachusetts, KIPP Academy Lynn, and KIPP Academy Boston are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.