Special Populations Academics Coordinator at KIPP Prime College Preparatory
- Houston, TX, USA
- Department: School-based Support
- Grade Level: Middle
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a nonprofit public charter school network, dedicated to preparing students in educationally underserved communities for college success and choice-filled lives. Today, KIPP Texas operates 59 public charter schools educating over 31,100 students across four regions – Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
The Special Populations Academics Coordinator will serve as a resource to special education faculty and school leaders in the area of curriculum and instruction. He/she will work cooperatively with instructional faculty and parents to provide an appropriate education program for students with disabilities. This position furthers the mission of KIPP Texas as it helps ensure that all students have the tools and the supportive environment they need to learn.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Special Populations Academics Coordinator will:
- Provide coaching to school-based special education managers across all grade bands, including GAIN classrooms
- Express high expectations for students and families
- Analyze student data including MAP, IA, STAAR, STEP
- Serve as the Academics Team Liaison
- Cultivate the trust of key stakeholders
- Recognize patterns and makes recommendations for professional development
- Identify schools/teachers in need of more hands-on support and offer planning time/office hours for targeted assistance
- Distill KTX instructional priorities (explicit instruction and universal design for learning) into bite-sized action steps for school based coaches and teachers to drive the work forward.
- Deliver and record model lessons
- Provide feedback on lesson plans, lesson delivery, and assessment results
- Co-facilitate PD (instructional)
- Co-facilitate monthly coach calls
- Maintain proactive working relationships with other internal departments, and, in the event that problems arise with special education, lead troubleshooting efforts and bring in relevant team members to assist with solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years experience teaching with a focus on special education services
- Knowledge of the 13 eligibility categories under IDEA and how they impact achievement
- Knowledge of content standards and assessments
- Knowledge of the KTX instructional priorities (Explicit Instruction and Universal Design for Learning)
- Effective collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and initiate tasks, manage time, and complete multiple projects within tight deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent attention to detail and a high level of accuracy is necessary
- Strong follow-up and follow-through skills necessary
KIPP Prime College Preparatory is located in the South Houston community at 8805 Ferndale, Houston, TX 77017.
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.