Assistant Principal, Operations at KIPP Destiny Elementary
- Dallas, TX, USA
- Department: School Leadership
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
Reporting to the Campus Operations Manager and or the Regional Director of School Operations and accountable to the School Leader, the Assistant Principal of Operations (APO) is a senior, school-based leadership role that oversees all finance and operations functions necessary to run a high-performing school. This includes budgeting, purchasing, facilities, food services, transportation, technology, student recruitment, student data, regulatory compliance, human resource administration, and academic operations support. The APO serves as a key member of the school’s Leadership Team, ensures that the school’s operations meet high standards of operational excellence, and enables instructional leaders and staff to focus on driving strong student achievement outcomes.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
● Manages the School Operations Team and appropriate campus functions (e.g. Receptionists, School Operations Manager, School Operations Assistant and Crossing Guards)
● Co-develops the school budget with the School Leader; manages and knows the budget details
● Develops, manages, and coordinates the campus arrival and dismissal procedures
● Liaison for Child Nutrition, responsible for attending KIPP training, developing the lunch line flow, ensuring procedures are followed, training teachers on processes including the supper/ snack, meal cards, student rosters, providing feedback
● Monthly Facility Audit Walk with the Campus Facilities Manager
● Plans and coordinates shared space usage, develops reservation system working with their APO counterpart
● Progress monitors school ops performance, communicates back to School Support Partners (SRE, transport. Mgr., CFM, CN Mgr, Finance, IT, PEIMS staff)
● Develops school based operations policies and procedures, and owns the school handbook creation and distribution process
● Responsible for driving school based strategies to ensure kids are in seats, by meeting student application/ registration/ enrollment/ attendance goals
● Leads weekly enrollment/ attendance check-in meeting with the SL, PEIMS and Attendance Specialist, and others to review deficiencies, identify chronic absenteeism, and drive improvements
● Campus Incident Command Leader; main POC for campus emergency management and communication
● Builds a culture of operational excellence from leaving it better than you found it, to cleanliness/ maintenance expectations, to safety and security being a team effort
● Attends School Support Partners operations trainings and Professional Development
● Perform some testing responsibilities for prek - 8th grade.
● Liaison with IT to ensure student technology needs are met and students have their login and username/password.
Performs other duties as assigned by the Campus Operations Manager, School Leader or Regional Director of School Operations
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
● Strong project and time management skills; ability to effectively backwards plan, juggle multiple priorities with great attention to detail, and deliver consistent and timely results
● Strong strategic and analytical skills with an aptitude for shifting from fire-fighting to systems-building
● Sense of humility, customer service mindset, and shows urgency and the ability to proactively solve problems and make decisions quickly
● Team player with strong interpersonal and stakeholder management and relationship building skills
● Ability to lead, influence, and hold others accountable to upholding high standards of operational excellence
● High level of comfort with financial oversight and budgetary tracking
● Ability to be calm under pressure, especially in difficult conversations with parents and staff
● Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
● Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel; Google Drive, Google Docs, and Google Sheets
● Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a professional
Unwavering commitment to the KIPP Texas mission, core values and willingness to go above and beyond to meet the needs of KIPP Texas students, families, and staff
Required Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
3 to 7 years of work experience, preferably in education and/or business or operations management
Demonstrated management and leadership skills (e.g. at least 2 years managing a team or multiple large projects)
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.
The Assistant Principal, Operations at KIPP Destiny Elementary will be funded directly from the Elementary and Secondary Schools Emergency Relief (ESSER) grants awarded by the Texas Education Agency under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 (ESSER II) and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ESSER III). This position will be funded solely (100%) from the ESSER II and III allocation for direct expenses through September 30, 2023, and may continue to be funded through September 30, 2024, depending upon the availability of ESSER grant funds. At the end of the grant period this position may be eliminated unless other sources of funds are secured to maintain this position or a similar position. The employee must sign this job description acknowledging receipt of the job description and signing their acknowledgement that this position is grant funded and is temporarily aligning with the terms of the grant period.