Director of Leadership Development
- Austin, TX, USA
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to define excellence for the Assistant School Leader of Academics role in KIPP: TX
- Drive this excellence through a theory of development, addressing knowledge, skills, and mindsets
- Differentiate this approach based on sub-categories of ASLAs, including novice, developing, and masterful ASLAs
- Using a gradual release model of development, onboard new-to-role ASLAs
- Ensure equity and a commitment to exploring race, class, bias are active part of all development
- Project manage and lead the work to determine the best path forward to AP Development across KIPP TX
- Explore and project manage alternative development trajectories to current models (for SLs, APs)
- Expand, combine, differentiate current programs
- Define role of the AP and name how people learn all the parts (eg. management, instructional leadership, team leadership, self operating, etc)
- Design and manage the required onboarding of New-to-KIPP instructional-leader staff (manage the recommended scope and sequence for ‘new to role’ coaches, to be instituted over multi-year integration)
- Onboarding and through first year
- Some of this will be working with KIPP Foundation and Reg Sups re; Instructional Bootcamp, external partnerships, etc.
- Develop a theory of action for building the Assistant Principal/Assistant School Leader bench depth
- Create plan/tools/resources to support regions to develop internal talent into instructional leaders
- Manage systems that support and operationalize instructional coaching
- Ensure high-impact implementation and management of Whetstone in partnership with other teams
- Ensure all teachers and leaders have access to high quality training and clear expectations for use
- Partner closely with KIPP Foundation and other external development partners to drive aligned training model for instructional leaders
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree Required
- Demonstrated excellence in Instructional Power Moves
- Demonstrated proficiency in leading through change, executing on major initiatives, and leading cross-departmental work
- Demonstrated excellence in leading professional development
- Demonstrated orientation to developing leaders
- Demonstrated achievement in partnership development, including an ability to mobilize people and create champions to support an organizational mission
- Evidence of developing and executing against a strategy with strong results
- School leadership and management experience preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.