2022-23 High School Literature Teacher
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Department: Teacher
- Grade Level: High
- Subject: English Language Arts, Reading
- Start Date: Next year opening
KIPP Public Schools (KIPP) is a national network of public charter schools that prepares students with the skills and confidence to create the future they want for themselves, their communities, and us all. We are a network of more than 250 schools, 6,000 educators, and 140,000 students. Together, we continually raise the bar for teaching and learning, then ensure success in one classroom travels across our network to hundreds more. And while each of our schools reflects the community to which it belongs, we are united around a shared commitment: a future without limits. KIPP Indy Public Schools (KIPP Indy) began in 2004 with one class of fifth-grade students as a college-preparatory program and has grown to serve 1,300 students across three schools. Of the students that attend KIPP Indy, 93% are eligible for free and reduced-price lunch, 95% are African American or Latinx, 12% receive special education services, and 8% are designated as emergent bilingual students. As we continue to grow, our mission remains the same: to create joyfully, academically excellent schools in which teachers, students, and families are all united around the same goal of preparing students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond— so they can lead fulfilling lives and create a more just world.
KIPP Indy Legacy High has an environment where students are cared for, valued and pushed to succeed. KIPP Indy Legacy High is a learning community that brings out the best in our students by providing the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in college, their careers, and beyond. We know that taking and succeeding in advanced placement classes will ensure our students are college-ready and prepared to be competitive in post-secondary environments. As a result, our classes are tailored to ensure every moment is leading to academic excellence while also instilling the collegiate habits necessary to excel in their post-secondary choice. We work to ensure our students have the opportunity to participate in career exploration and internships in order to receive firsthand experience in their desired career fields. We know that these experiences will help shape our students' passions for the future. We also know it is necessary for students to have a deep understanding of themselves and the world around them. Through intentional study, our students will be able to speak to their passions, values and interests, and how these can be used to impact the world around them. This, along with our partnership with Edna Martin Christian Center, will provide our students with a holistic academic experience preparing them to be informed, influential change agents.
KIPP Indy Legacy High is looking for a highly dedicated educator who is passionate about teaching AP Literature, has a track record of instructional excellence, and is willing to continuously go above and beyond for students. KIPP Indy teachers are committed to leading and teaching through an anti-racist lens and are responsible for delivering effective, rigorous instruction in their content areas that produce high-quality results and student understanding.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of student learning and effective teaching strategies
- Regularly tracking student data
- Maintain an organized and focused learning environment
- Utilize state standards to develop curriculum and lesson plans
- Exhibit positive rapport with students, families, and colleagues
- Implement student management policies within classrooms and everywhere on campus
- Create and foster a positive learning environment
- Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all parents
- Attend school-wide events, such as open houses, parent-teacher conferences, and other events involving parents
- Consistently use assessment and data to set goals, inform decisions, and invest students in their progress.
- Perform all duties related to your classroom including clerical duties relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
- Believes deeply that all students can learn and deserve a high-quality education
- Plans carefully to meet both short- and long-term goals and holds themselves accountable to meeting goals
- Uses data to solve problems
- Develops strong relationships
- Perseveres through challenges and is adaptable to change
- Understands their own strengths and weaknesses and seeks ways to always improve
- Communicates across lines of differences and proactively creates inclusive environments
- Arrive at school by 7:50 a.m.
- Participate in school-wide and individual professional development, including two weeks during the summer
- Provide time in the evening, by phone, for questions and concerns that students and/or parents may have regarding education-related issues that could not be handled during the school day
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings and communicate openly with all staff
- Meet all expectations and requirements as stated in the KIPP Indy Employee Handbook
- Willing to meet the varied and constant needs of the students and staff at KIPP Indy
- Valid Indiana teaching license or in the process of applying for reciprocity with valid out of state license
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of two to five years teaching in an urban public school (preferred)
- Experience teaching in a public high school setting (preferred)
- Strong record of helping students from underserved neighborhoods achieve academic success
- Experience in analyzing student data and using data to inform instruction
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the KIPP Indy mission and community
- Possess a strong knowledge of content area and have met all required educator standards for their content area
- Pass a criminal background check, as required by law
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes benefits. Teachers are also eligible for performance-based bonuses.
KIPP Indy Legacy High is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.