Immediate School Nurse (RN or LPN)
- Lynn, MA, USA
- Department: School-based Support
- Start Date: Immediate opening
The mission of all of KIPP Massachusetts schools is to create an environment where students develop the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to maximize their potential in high school, college, and the world beyond. Our program is based on:
- A focus on high-quality instruction supported by rigorous professional development to ensure that our students develop the academic skills necessary to pursue the life they choose.
- High regard for character development to ensure that our students and staff celebrate and develop their character and identity strengths.
- An emphasis on family engagement, because we believe that our students are most likely to be able to maximize their potential when we work in partnership with our students and their families.
- A focus on college readiness for all students so that all students can make choices about their post-secondary education and future.
What We Do
We seek to provide a world-class education for students from educationally underserved communities in Lynn and Boston. Our student demographics mirror those of neighborhood schools in terms of race, socioeconomic status, English Language Learners, and students who receive special education services.
Our promise to families is that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop the zest for learning and grit necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in Lynn and Boston.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity Vision
At KIPP Massachusetts, we believe that Knowledge is Power. Every day, our team and family have the opportunity to either perpetuate systems of oppression or disrupt them. We are compelled by the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusivity. Therefore, we continuously commit to operating as an anti-racist organization. Read more at Diversity Equity Inclusivity Vision.
Who We Are
KIPP Massachusetts began enrolling students in 2004. We currently hold two charters, operating two “districts.” Our first district, KIPP Academy Lynn Charter School, is based in Lynn, MA. Our second district, KIPP Academy Boston Charter School, is based in Mattapan, MA. Each district is housed on one or more “campuses,” which we use to refer to different grade spans, for example, elementary grades, middle school grades, or high school grades.
In Lynn, KIPP Academy Lynn Elementary (serving grades K-4), KIPP Academy Lynn Middle (serving grades 5-8), and KIPP Academy Lynn Collegiate (serving grades 9-12), are all under our Lynn charter. Admission to any grade in the Lynn district is admission to all remaining grades in the Lynn district K-12. 66% of our students in Lynn are Hispanic, 23% are Black, and 11% are other races/ethnicities.
KIPP Academy Boston(serving grades K-8) operates under our Boston charter. Admission to any grade in the Boston district is admission to all remaining grades in the Boston district, K-8. 68% of our students in Boston are Black, 30% are Hispanic and 2% are other races/ethnicities.
Across both districts, in the school year, 2020-2021 KIPP Massachusetts will serve over 2,100 students.
KIPP Massachusetts is part of the nation-wide KIPP non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students.
KIPP Massachusetts is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all of our students, families, teachers, staff, and community members.
Starting immediately, we are hiring two School Nurses to support KIPP Academy Lynn and KIPP Academy Boston, due to COVID regulations of requiring two nurses per building. The School Nurse will join a team with our current School Nurses.
The School Nurse serves as the go-to person for all health concerns. The School Nurse works in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple priorities at once to ensure that our students receive the care they need, while also ensuring health screening programs and documentation are meticulously maintained. This position requires initiative, meticulous follow-through, the ability to work with a diverse population, and a willingness to uphold the high expectations of our school.
Responsibilities of this Role
- Applies nursing practice to the unique needs of individuals, groups, and populations of schools
- Promotes, implements, and upholds the professional standards of school nursing practice as established by the Massachusetts Nurse Practice Act
- Follows state and local health practice statutes, district policies, and administrative guidelines
- Serves as a medical resource and health advocate for students and staff
- Assumes the responsibility of appropriate health assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation, management and referrals for students
- Plays a key role in identifying health concerns and treatment measures, providing instruction, counseling, and guidance in the maintenance of good health practices and disease prevention
Duties and Responsibilities – General
- Administers basic health care and First Aid for the purpose of providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured children.
- Administers over-the-counter medication and medication with doctor’s orders included.
- Conducts health screenings
- Supervises prescribed medical treatments and medication administration.
- Provides assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation, management, and referral for appropriate medical care of students with acute/chronic health conditions and in emergency situations
Manager of Student Health Care
- Assists in the development or revision of policies, procedures, and work standards for the school health program
- Monitors compliance with current state immunization and health assessment requirements and functions as a public health nurse in auditing student records, compiling information and submitting reports to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health on topics of vaccination, prevalence of asthma & diabetes, and screening results
- Creates and maintains health care plans (IHCP), medical emergency cards, immunization records of all students for the purpose of ensuring compliance with state law and providing information required for intra-district transfer of records as needed
- Provides identification, assessment, care planning, referral and follow-up for students with acute/chronic health care needs and/or communicable diseases
- Interprets student health care needs to families and school staff
- Educates families through written communication and verbal contacts to encourage follow-through of health care referrals
- Educates students, staff, and parents/guardians regarding medication administration, medical procedures needed at school, acute/chronic illness management, prevention and control of communicable diseases, acute/chronic illness management, emergency care, and other health-related issues
- Provides assistance and counseling for students with psychological and medical concerns and/or physical limitations and assists in adaptation of any limitations.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
- Submit your resume and application through our online job board at https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/KIPP/massachusetts
- The KIPP MA Recruitment Team will select candidates to move forward to the phone interview stage.
- Following the phone interview, the KIPP MA team will invite qualified candidates to interview with KIPP MA School or Regional Office Teams.
KIPP Massachusetts, KIPP Academy Lynn, and KIPP Academy Boston are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.