ESL Teacher (Immediate)
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Department: Teacher
- Start Date: Next year opening
The vision at KIPP Indy College Prep Middle is that we will be the middle school of choice in Indianapolis by preparing our students to become exceptional leaders who make a positive impact in the world. To do this, we go above and beyond to prepare our students for success in college and life through maintaining rigorous academic expectations and by placing an intent focus on character education and growth. We intentionally foster a culture where teaching excellence is deeply valued, investing a tremendous amount of time and resources to cultivate continuous instructional improvement. The KIPP Indy community holds one another to high standards, cognizant that success and happiness can be achieved by all, regardless of challenging circumstances, through team work, grit and focused dedication.
KIPP is a non-profit network of college-preparatory, public charter schools with a 20+ year track record of providing an excellent college-prep education that sets students up for success in whatever life path they choose. KIPP currently educates more than 100,000 students in 255 schools across the country, including Indianapolis. KIPP Indy Public Schools (KIPP Indy) was founded in 2004 with one class of fifth grade students and has grown to educate more than 1,250 students across three schools. KIPP Indy Unite Elementary was founded in 2014 with 100 kindergarten students and has grown a grade level each year to educate more than 600 students in grades K-5 in the 2020-21 school year. Of the students that attend KIPP Indy, 93% qualify for free and reduced lunch, 93% are African American, and 20% receive special education services. We will continue to grow KIPP Indy’s network of schools to educate a total of 1,400 students in grades K-12.
KIPP Indy College Prep is seeking an ESL Teacher who will be responsible for providing high-quality instruction to students in grades grade 6-8.
Teachers at KIPP Indy College Prep are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous instruction in their classroom that produces strong results and student understanding. Teachers will use data to inform their instruction and do whatever it takes for all students to learn. Teachers at KIPP Indy Unite are committed to leading and teaching through an anti-racist lens, will work to prepare students to become exceptional leaders who will make a positive impact on the world.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of student learning and effective teaching strategies for Emergent Bilingual Students
- Develop SIOP non-negotiables for instruction in the school and complete school-wide walkthroughs and evaluations
- Write and monitor ILPs and provide academic supports for emergent bilingual students
- Manage progress monitoring data for student language proficiency
- Implement student management policies within classrooms and everywhere on campus
- Create and foster a positive learning environment
- Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all parents and families
- Attend school-wide events, such as open houses, family conferences, and other events involving families
- Consistently use assessment and data to set goals, inform decisions, and invest students in their progress
- Perform all duties related to your classroom including clerical duties relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
- Arrive at school by 7:30 a.m.
- Participate in school-wide and individual professional development, including two weeks during the summer, weekly school-wide meetings, and ongoing racial equity trainings
- Provide time in the evening, by phone, for questions and concerns that students and/or families may have regarding education-related issues that could not be handled during the school day
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings and communicate openly with all staff
- Meet all expectations and requirements as stated in the KIPP Indy Employee Handbook
- Willing to meet the varied and constant needs of the students and staff at KIPP Indy
- Uses data to solve problems
- Demonstrates tenacity, persevering through significant challenges to reach goals
- Manages time and resources effectively, prioritizing efforts according to organizational goals
- Communicates across lines of differences and proactively creates inclusive environments
- Holds high expectations for all students and expresses belief in their potential to become exceptional leaders who will make a positive impact on the world.
- Valid Indiana Teaching License or seeking reciprocation (Required)
- Bachelor’s degree (Required)
- Pass a criminal background check (Required)
- Commitment to working with underserved students (Required)
- At least two years of teaching experience in an urban public elementary school (Preferred)
- Experience in analyzing student data and using data to inform instruction (Preferred)
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes benefits. Teachers are also eligible for performance-based bonuses.
KIPP Indy College Prep is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.