High School STEM or Humanities Resident Teacher (Immediate)
- Lynn, MA, USA
- Department: Teaching Fellow
- Grade Level: High
- Subject: English Language Arts, Reading
- Start Date: Immediate opening
The mission of all of KIPP Massachusetts schools is to create an environment where students develop the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to maximize their potential in high school, college, and the world beyond. Our program is based on:
- A focus on high-quality instruction supported by rigorous professional development to ensure that our students develop the academic skills necessary to pursue the life they choose.
- High regard for character development to ensure that our students and staff celebrate and develop their character and identity strengths.
- An emphasis on family engagement, because we believe that our students are most likely to be able to maximize their potential when we work in partnership with our students and their families.
- A focus on college readiness for all students so that all students can make choices about their post-secondary education and future.
What We Do
We seek to provide a world-class education for students from educationally underserved communities in Lynn and Boston. Our student demographics mirror those of neighborhood schools in terms of race, socioeconomic status, English Language Learners, and students who receive special education services.
Our promise to families is that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop the zest for learning and grit necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in Lynn and Boston.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity Vision
At KIPP Massachusetts, we believe that Knowledge is Power. Every day, our team and family have the opportunity to either perpetuate systems of oppression or disrupt them. We are compelled by the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusivity. Therefore, we continuously commit to operating as an anti-racist organization. Read more at Diversity Equity Inclusivity Vision.
Who We Are
KIPP Massachusetts began enrolling students in 2004. We currently hold two charters, operating two “districts.” Our first district, KIPP Academy Lynn Charter School, is based in Lynn, MA. Our second district, KIPP Academy Boston Charter School, is based in Mattapan, MA. Each district is housed on one or more “campuses,” which we use to refer to different grade spans, for example, elementary grades, middle school grades, or high school grades.
In Lynn, KIPP Academy Lynn Elementary (serving grades K-4), KIPP Academy Lynn Middle (serving grades 5-8), and KIPP Academy Lynn Collegiate (serving grades 9-12), are all under our Lynn charter. Admission to any grade in the Lynn district is admission to all remaining grades in the Lynn district K-12. 66% of our students in Lynn are Hispanic, 23% are Black, and 11% are other races/ethnicities.
KIPP Academy Boston(serving grades K-8) operates under our Boston charter. Admission to any grade in the Boston district is admission to all remaining grades in the Boston district, K-8. 68% of our students in Boston are Black, 30% are Hispanic and 2% are other races/ethnicities.
Across both districts, in the school year, 2020-2021 KIPP Massachusetts will serve over 2,100 students.
KIPP Massachusetts is part of the nation-wide KIPP non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students.
KIPP Massachusetts is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all of our students, families, teachers, staff, and community members.
KIPP Massachusetts Resident Teachers are aspiring teachers who are committed to learning the craft of teaching through professional development, coaching, and hands-on practice. KIPP MA Resident Teachers spend each day teaching and learning alongside an experienced Teacher with the goal of becoming a KIPP MA Lead Teacher. For the 2021 – 2022 school year, we are excited to welcome Resident Teachers into our Middle and High School classrooms.
Resident Teachers are an integral part of the classroom from the first days of school. They must form strong and trusting relationships with students and families as they begin their journey with KIPP. Throughout the year, Resident Teachers practice small group and whole group classroom management and gradually take on additional lead-teaching responsibilities. Resident Teachers will work with a grade-level team to achieve their school’s ambitious goals for student character and academic achievement.
KIPP MA wants Resident Teachers who are eager to work relentlessly for the most difficult and joyful profession imaginable. KIPP MA Resident Teachers are also eligible for a partial tuition scholarship to the BU Graduate School of Education if they are interested in pursuing a Master’s degree and MA Teacher’s License.
At KIPP, we believe that an excellent staff member does the following:
- Believes that all of us can and will learn and creates a positive learning environment with high expectations for all students and staff throughout the school;
- Thrives as part of a team-oriented, mission-driven culture;
- Exudes joy and a love of learning every single day;
- Demonstrates a growth mindset and a desire to continually improve through feedback, coaching, and professional development;
- Constantly assesses progress, communicates results clearly, and uses data to inform decisions and set ambitious goals.
- Has a strong work ethic and commits to doing whatever it takes for students to excel, including committing to an extended workday and remaining available to colleagues, students, and families outside of school hours
Qualified candidates have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Belief in the mission and values of KIPP
- Desire to learn the craft of teaching through practice, coaching, and professional development
- Prior experience working with children encouraged, but not required
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
The salary for a Resident Teacher is $40,000 and includes a comprehensive benefits package and $1,000 signing bonus.
- Submit your resume and application through our online job board at https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/KIPP/massachusetts
- The KIPP MA Recruitment Team will select candidates to complete a video interview to allow us to learn more about your goals and experiences. If selected, you will receive an email from the KIPP MA team with a link to the interview questions and instructions for uploading your answers.
- Following the video interview, the KIPP MA team will invite qualified candidates to interview with KIPP MA school leaders.
KIPP Massachusetts, KIPP Academy Lynn, and KIPP Academy Boston are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.