Founding Accounts Payable Manager
- Raleigh, NC, USA
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
- Start Date: Immediate opening
In 2020, KIPP Eastern North Carolina (KIPP ENC) and KIPP Charlotte took the first steps to begin to merge to form KIPP North Carolina Public Schools (KIPP NC). Starting in July of 2021, KIPP NC will be a network of eight high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools providing an academically rigorous and joyous school experience to more than 3,500 students in grades K-12 in Charlotte, Durham, Gaston, and Halifax. Additionally, KIPP NC will support several thousand alumni on their journey to and through high school, college, and career.
KIPP NC will build on a rich tradition of academic excellence and relentless fight for social justice present from the founding of both KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte. KIPP ENC is the second oldest KIPP region in the nation. In its 20 years of operation, KIPP ENC has been a cornerstone for students and families in rural Gaston and Halifax, operating two primary schools, two middle schools, and one high school. Over the past five years, it grew to serve even more students by opening up a middle school in Durham, an urban center in the center part of the state. KIPP Charlotte, which grew out of the strong traditions and academics of KIPP ENC, has supported students and families for the past 13 years, operating one primary school and one middle school in the largest city in North Carolina.
KIPP North Carolina will build upon the successes and experiences of KIPP ENC and KIPP Charlotte to provide inclusive school environments and an educational program that will enable our students to lead full lives and equip graduates to be future leaders and agents of change in North Carolina and beyond. KIPP NC also will continue to engage in direct, anti-racist work, and it will contribute meaningfully to the dismantling of structures of inequality within our organization, schools, and classrooms. KIPP NC will be committed to expanding our efforts to embed anti-racism in all of our activities and engagements within our classrooms and schools, across our organization, and throughout the State of North Carolina. All of this will be in a tireless effort to create classrooms that are homeplaces for our students, places where they feel safe, loved, validated, seen, and heard, places where all their beautiful identities will be affirmed and celebrated, and places where they will learn the academic knowledge and skills needed for college, career, and beyond.
The founding Accounts Payable Manager will oversee day-to-day accounts payable operations and support network and school-based operations teams in the purchasing process and payables process. The Accounts Payable Manager will review, monitor, report, and advise on accounts payable activity and Central Office and schools’ purchasing activity in support of meeting internal goals and deadlines and adhering to KIPP NC’s fiscal policies and procedures. They will play a key role in recognizing areas where purchasing and accounts payable processes could be more effective and efficient, and they will work with Finance Team colleagues to design and execute initiatives to address these needs. The Accounts Payable Manager will oversee the accounts payable function, and will ensure all check requests, reimbursements, vendor invoices, wires, ACHs, and cash receipts are processed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Reviews purchasing and accounts payable documentation for accuracy and adherence to internal guidelines and fiscal policies and procedures
- Coordinates the setup and updating of vendors in the financial system
- Tracks and verifies that monthly, recurring expenses are posted timely
- Manages month-end close of accounts payable transactions
- Manages customer-vendor relations and inquiries; provides timely responses; supports with internal and external inquiries
- Collaborates with Finance Team and Central Office colleagues, school-based staff, and vendors on resolving outstanding invoices and account balances; assists with reconciliation of invoices and payments
- Reviews account activity for accuracy; reclassifies expenses to appropriate accounts and ensures transactions are posted following appropriate accounting standards and practices
- Develops practices and implements systems that improve the overall efficiency of the accounts payable function
- Establishes performance objectives and priorities for accounts payable staff; meets with staff regularly to prioritize tasks, identify problems, and resolve workload issues
- Ensure that annual IRS form 1099s are prepared and submitted timely
- Assists with annual audits
- Maintains an orderly accounting filing system
KIPP NC’s Accounts Payable Manager candidates will have the following:
- A deep commitment to the mission of KIPP NC and an unwavering belief in the potential of all our students
- An unwavering commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion
- A strong desire to collaborate with school leaders and Central Office teammates in service to a new KIPP region growing out of two exceptionally strong ones
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of accounting experience; non-profit accounting experience preferred
- Considerable knowledge of accounts payable policies, procedures, and best practices
- An entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated success in building a program, department or organization
- Ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders with different interests and needs
- Possess a deep commitment to both racial equity and improving the lives of kids from low-income communities; experience working within predominantly Black, Brown, and/or low-income communities
- Understanding and willingness to work in both rural and urban communities, including exhibiting resourcefulness and willingness to travel up to five hours within North Carolina multiple days per week based on need
- Must live in North Carolina
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and the salary ranges from $55k - $65k annualized.
- KIPP NC employees receive health, vision, and dental at no cost to employees and discounts for spouses, children, and families with an annual $1200 (or $1700 for families) added to an HRA account for copays, deductibles, and other health expenditures.
- All employees have the option to enroll in a 403b with an employer match.
- KIPP NC Regional Support Team members receive 17 days of PTO their first 2 years of service and 20 days of PTO after 2 years with the ability to carryover up to 3 days each year.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.