Teacher in Residence (2022 - 23 School Year)
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Department: Teaching Fellow
- Start Date: Next year opening
KIPP Metro Atlanta is part of the nationwide KIPP non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP Metro Atlanta currently operates eleven KIPP schools including four primary schools, five middle schools, one K-7 school, and one high school, as well as the KIPP Forward which supports alumni through college, career, and beyond.
The regional support team provides financial and operational support and oversight to KIPP Metro Atlanta schools, develops instructional initiatives designed to strengthen the schools’ academic programs, and implements each school’s high school placement and alumni services through the KIPP Forward program.
About the KIPP Metro Atlanta Teaching Residency
In partnership with Relay Graduate School of Education, the KIPP Metro Atlanta Teaching Residency provides a unique and rigorous opportunity for aspiring educators to enter the teaching profession through a supportive training process. Residents will learn in a classroom alongside mentor teachers while earning a master’s of arts in teaching and a Georgia teaching certificate. This selective two-year residency immerses Residents in intensive training through Relay’s coursework and deliberate practice with a gradual on-ramp into teaching. Furthermore, Residents will have the opportunity to engage in content development, case studies, and instructional rounds all aimed at building a continuous learning mindset within themselves and their cohort. After the completion of your graduate studies Residents, now Lead Teachers, make a commitment to teaching for a minimum of two additional years in KIPP Metro Atlanta.
This program is best suited for individuals who are passionate and committed to teaching as a long-term career path but who do not have any full-time teaching experience.
As a KIPP Metro Atlanta Teacher in Residence, your core responsibilities include:
- Developing teaching skills through regular feedback and coaching
- Participate and contribute as a member of his/ her particular school community
- Providing individual or small group instruction for students
- Committing to constant professional and personal growth through working closely with a team of teachers across the region
- Attend all school-level professional development (PD sessions) and certification coursework with Relay GSE and MATR.
- Constantly assessing student progress, and communicating results to families and colleagues
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families, and staff.
- Participate in weekly meetings with mentor/ host teacher
- Participate in goal setting, observations, and debrief meetings with School leader, MATR staff, and Relay.
- Implement feedback from observation by MATR staff, Relay faculty, School Leaders, and mentor teachers into classroom practice.
- Conduct purposeful observations of mentor and other excellent teachers
- Model the values of KIPP Metro Atlanta and setting the standard for professional behavior
- Help to envision and create a positive learning environment and exhibit positive rapport with students, parents, and staff
- Have fun and spread joy!
- Obtain a bachelor’s degree by June 2022
- 3.00 and above GPA (preferred)
- Passion and commitment to be a teacher in an underrepresented community
- Belief that all students can and will learn
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to MATR’s mission, as well as the mission of the schools in which MATR’s are placed
- Openness to feedback, and willingness to constantly reflect, improve and learn
- Strong work ethic couples with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment and develop strong relationships with parents and colleagues.
- Flexibility, tenacity, perseverance, resourcefulness, teamwork, and a sense of humor
- High level of organization and professionalism
Year 1 residents will receive a $35,000 stipend with a competitive benefits package includes health coverage (medical, dental, vision) with tuition covered by KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools. Year 2 residents will received a full teacher salary, competitive benefits package, and tuition covered by KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools.
Statement of Non-Discrimination:
KIPP Metro Atlanta is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying to the school. KIPP Metro Atlanta does not discriminate based on race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.