Director of KIPP Forward (formally KIPP Through College and Career)
- Lynn, MA, USA
- Department: College & Career Counseling
- Subject: College and Career Readiness
- Start Date: Immediate opening
The mission of all of KIPP Massachusetts schools is to create an environment where students develop the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to maximize their potential in high school, college, and the world beyond. Our program is based on:
- A focus on high-quality instruction supported by rigorous professional development to ensure that our students develop the academic skills necessary to pursue the life they choose.
- High regard for character development to ensure that our students and staff celebrate and develop their character and identity strengths.
- An emphasis on family engagement, because we believe that our students are most likely to be able to maximize their potential when we work in partnership with our students and their families.
- A focus on college readiness for all students so that all students can make choices about their post-secondary education and future.
What We Do
We seek to provide a world-class education for students from educationally underserved communities in Lynn and Boston. Our student demographics mirror those of neighborhood schools in terms of race, socioeconomic status, English Language Learners, and students who receive special education services.
Our promise to families is that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop the zest for learning and grit necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in Lynn and Boston.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity Vision
At KIPP Massachusetts, we believe that Knowledge is Power. Every day, our team and family have the opportunity to either perpetuate systems of oppression or disrupt them. We are compelled by the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusivity. Therefore, we continuously commit to operating as an anti-racist organization. Read more at Diversity Equity Inclusivity Vision.
Who We Are
KIPP Massachusetts began enrolling students in 2004. We currently hold two charters, operating two “districts.” Our first district, KIPP Academy Lynn Charter School, is based in Lynn, MA. Our second district, KIPP Academy Boston Charter School, is based in Mattapan, MA. Each district is housed on one or more “campuses,” which we use to refer to different grade spans, for example, elementary grades, middle school grades, or high school grades.
In Lynn, KIPP Academy Lynn Elementary (serving grades K-4), KIPP Academy Lynn Middle (serving grades 5-8), and KIPP Academy Lynn Collegiate (serving grades 9-12), are all under our Lynn charter. Admission to any grade in the Lynn district is admission to all remaining grades in the Lynn district K-12. 66% of our students in Lynn are Hispanic, 23% are Black, and 11% are other races/ethnicities.
KIPP Academy Boston(serving grades K-8) operates under our Boston charter. Admission to any grade in the Boston district is admission to all remaining grades in the Boston district, K-8. 68% of our students in Boston are Black, 30% are Hispanic and 2% are other races/ethnicities.
Across both districts, in the school year, 2020-2021 KIPP Massachusetts will serve over 2,100 students.
KIPP Massachusetts is part of the nation-wide KIPP non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students.
KIPP Massachusetts is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all of our students, families, teachers, staff, and community members.
KIPP Forward Director
The KIPP Forward team, in collaboration with the regional and national KIPP teams, design and deliver robust support for recent alumni cohorts as they strive to achieve their individual post-secondary aspirations including college, career, and beyond.
The Director of KIPP Forward is expected to collaborate closely with the Director of Post-Secondary Counseling, who works primarily with high school juniors and seniors. In collaboration with the regional leadership team, Chief Schools Officer, and K-12 school leaders, the Director of KIPP Forward will inform and monitor implementation of the Alumni Success components of the recently updated KIPP MA strategic plan for 2021 - 2026.
A strong candidate for KIPP Forward Director has proven results in building adult culture, executing and monitoring performance management, and data analysis and response. They have a vision for developing and refining alumni programming and informing related K-12 supporting systems, measuring and celebrating programmatic success, and responding to gaps in outcomes or sustainability as the team and program grows.
The KIPP Forward director reports to the Chief Schools Officer.
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- In collaboration with the Chief Schools Officer, update and monitor the progress of the KIPP Forward strategic plan.
- Lead and manage members of the KIPP Forward team, including the managers of persistence, wellness, career integration, and high school placement.
- Manage the KIPP Forward budget and collaborate with the Director of Finance to ensure accurate financial reporting and responsible budget development
- Study, evaluate, and implement high-leverage resources and guidance from the KIPP Foundation regarding match, persistence, and career integration.
- Facilitate consistent and accessible communication of alumni goals, targets, engagement, and outcomes to key stakeholders across the organization
- Ensure consistent communication with alumni regarding available resources, opportunities for engagement
- Collaborate with K-8 staff on the Boston campus to inform structures for social, emotional, and academic preparedness for high school
- Cultivate and maintain critical relationships with colleges, universities, outreach programs, and scholarship organizations
- Develop strategic partnerships with organizations that can help prepare alumni for success in high school, college, and career
- Manage post-secondary data in the KIPP MA Database and provide regular reports to key stakeholders including the Director of College Counseling, High School Principal, Chief Schools Officer, and the KIPP MA Regional Leadership Team
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 2 years of Managerial and project management experience preferred
- Experience helping educationally underserved students and their families navigate college and career access and persistence systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a deep desire to collaborate and build relationships
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making; facilitate various size working groups, work collaboratively, and; gather and analyze data, compile information, and prepare and present reports
- Flexible, strategic, innovative self-starter who is able to manage multiple tasks within an ambiguous, fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions and inspiring investment of others
- Foundational knowledge of socio-emotional learning and young adults strongly preferred
- Proficient in MS Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Bilingual applicants preferred
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
- Submit your resume and application through our online job board at https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/KIPP/massachusetts
- The KIPP MA Recruitment Team will select candidates to move forward to the phone interview stage.
- Following the phone interview, the KIPP MA team will invite qualified candidates to interview with KIPP MA School or Regional Office Teams.
KIPP Massachusetts, KIPP Academy Lynn, and KIPP Academy Boston are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.