K - 8th Grade Lead Teacher - ESL (2021-2022)
- Boston, MA, USA
- Department: Teacher
- Subject: English Language Learner
- Start Date: Next year opening
The mission of all of KIPP Massachusetts schools is to create an environment where students develop the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to maximize their potential in high school, college, and the world beyond. Our program is based on:
- A focus on high-quality instruction supported by rigorous professional development to ensure that our students develop the academic skills necessary to pursue the life they choose.
- High regard for character development to ensure that our students and staff celebrate and develop their character and identity strengths.
- An emphasis on family engagement, because we believe that our students are most likely to be able to maximize their potential when we work in partnership with our students and their families.
- A focus on college readiness for all students so that all students can make choices about their post-secondary education and future.
What We Do
We seek to provide a world-class education for students from educationally underserved communities in Lynn and Boston. Our student demographics mirror those of neighborhood schools in terms of race, socioeconomic status, English Language Learners, and students who receive special education services.
Our promise to families is that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop the zest for learning and grit necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in Lynn and Boston.
Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity Vision
At KIPP Massachusetts, we believe that Knowledge is Power. Every day, our team and family have the opportunity to either perpetuate systems of oppression or disrupt them. We are compelled by the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusivity. Therefore, we continuously commit to operating as an anti-racist organization. Read more at Diversity Equity Inclusivity Vision.
Who We Are
KIPP Massachusetts began enrolling students in 2004. We currently hold two charters, operating two “districts.” Our first district, KIPP Academy Lynn Charter School, is based in Lynn, MA. Our second district, KIPP Academy Boston Charter School, is based in Mattapan, MA. Each district is housed on one or more “campuses,” which we use to refer to different grade spans, for example, elementary grades, middle school grades, or high school grades.
In Lynn, KIPP Academy Lynn Elementary (serving grades K-4), KIPP Academy Lynn Middle (serving grades 5-8), and KIPP Academy Lynn Collegiate (serving grades 9-12), are all under our Lynn charter. Admission to any grade in the Lynn district is admission to all remaining grades in the Lynn district K-12. 66% of our students in Lynn are Hispanic, 23% are Black, and 11% are other races/ethnicities.
KIPP Academy Boston(serving grades K-8) operates under our Boston charter. Admission to any grade in the Boston district is admission to all remaining grades in the Boston district, K-8. 68% of our students in Boston are Black, 30% are Hispanic and 2% are other races/ethnicities.
Across both districts, in the school year, 2020-2021 KIPP Massachusetts will serve over 2,100 students.
KIPP Massachusetts is part of the nation-wide KIPP non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students.
KIPP Massachusetts is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all of our students, families, teachers, staff, and community members.
KIPP Massachusetts Lead Teachers are at the core of our mission to prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
If you firmly believe that all students can learn; if you have a proven willingness to do whatever it takes to disrupt the opportunity gap; if you thrive in an environment that is both collaborative and entrepreneurial; and if you are eager to work alongside passionate educators committed to creating an equitable and inclusive school environment; we want to hear from you.
At KIPP, we believe that an excellent staff member does the following:
- Believes that all of us can and will learn and creates a positive learning environment with high expectations for all students and staff throughout the school;
- Thrives as part of a team-oriented, mission-driven culture;
- Exudes joy and a love of learning every single day;
- Demonstrates a growth mindset and a desire to continually improve through feedback, coaching, and professional development;
- Constantly assesses progress, communicates results clearly, and uses data to inform decisions and set ambitious goals.
- Has a strong work ethic and commits to doing whatever it takes for students to excel, including committing to an extended workday and remaining available to colleagues, students, and families outside of school hours
Qualified candidates have the following:
- A belief in the mission and values of KIPP
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels in educationally underserved communities (preferred)
- At least two years of teaching experience (strongly preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Passing score ESL MTEL required
- Preliminary or Permanent MA ESL Teaching Licensure Required
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
- Submit your resume and application through our online job board at https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/KIPP/massachusetts
- The KIPP MA Recruitment Team will select candidates to move forward to the phone interview stage.
- Following the phone interview, the KIPP MA team will invite qualified candidates to interview with KIPP MA School or Regional Office Teams.
KIPP Massachusetts, KIPP Academy Lynn, and KIPP Academy Boston are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.