21-22 School Operations Manager
- Austin, TX, USA
- Department: School-based Support
- Start Date: Next year opening
Founded in Houston in 1994, KIPP has become a national leader in partnering with families and communities, to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose — college, career, and beyond — so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
In 2018, KIPP schools in Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio joined forces to become KIPP Texas Public Schools, a nonprofit public charter school network, accelerating student academic outcomes and impacting more students across Texas. As a unified, statewide organization, KIPP Texas can more effectively leverage the talent, resources, instructional expertise, financial strength, and advocacy in the public charter school movement, in order to have an even larger impact with educationally underserved communities across the state.
In the 2020-2021 school year, KIPP Texas Public Schools will educate more than 31,100 students in 59 schools, placing the district among the top 50 largest in the state. KIPP Texas will continue to prove what is possible for its students, communities, and state, with a goal of growing to educate 100,000 students and achieving a 75% college graduation rate for alumni.
The mission and vision of KIPP Texas is grounded in five Core Values as its cultural North Star:
As a Team & Family, we:
- Champion Equity
- Chase Excellence
- Persist with Purpose
- Bring Joy
- Rise Together
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
NOTE: We are currently hiring for this role at KIPP Austin Brave High School in South Austin.
The School Operations Manager is a school based position that assists with all finance and operations functions necessary to run a high-performing school. This includes coding invoices, purchasing, facilities, food services, transportation, technology, student recruitment, student data, regulatory compliance, and academic operations support. The School Operations Manager serves as a key member of the school’s Front Office Team, ensures that the school’s operations meet high standards of operational excellence, families are offered outstanding customer service, and enables instructional leaders and staff to focus on driving strong student achievement outcomes.
- Supervises School Operations Associate
- Purchases items & services for the school; knows the procurement process, is trained in KIPPeMart
- Codes invoices, collects money (e.g. EOY trips, club fees), prepares deposits
- Implements the arrival and dismissal procedure (car flow, bus line up, walkers)
- Manages the day to day busing operations for their school; rosters, parent requests/ issues, student line-up process, parent and student ID tags, student behavior; works closely w/ their Bus Coordinator Lead for needs and changes
- Manages Child Nutrition day to day logistics (meal card replacement, supper rosters); works closely with the Child Nutrition Field Supervisor
- Manages school event coordination (i.e. meet the teacher night, parent engagement sessions, enrollment and recruitment activities – working with Regional Student Recruitment)
- Manages copier and teacher workroom supplies, troubleshoots copiers, trained on the copiers
- Manages any student technology program the school runs (i.e. Chromebooks)
- Updates any school based calendar for the School Leader
- Supports field lesson logistics (booking buses, ordering sack lunches, hotel rooms, travel, etc.)
- Manages any school based social media communications/ postings
- Gives parent tours for potential student prospects
- schedules shared space
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Assistant Principal of Operations
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3 to 5 years of work experience, preferably in education and/or business or operations management
- Demonstrated leadership skills (e.g. at least 1 year managing a team or large projects)
- Strong project and time management skills; ability to effectively backwards plan, juggle multiple priorities with great attention to detail, and deliver consistent and timely results
- Strong strategic and analytical skills with an aptitude for shifting from fire-fighting to systems-building
- Sense of humility, customer service mindset, and shows urgency and the ability to proactively solve problems and make decisions quickly
- Team player with strong interpersonal and stakeholder management and relationship building skills
- Ability to lead, influence, and hold others accountable to upholding high standards of operational excellence
- Ability to be calm under pressure, especially in difficult conversations with parents and staff
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel; Google Drive, Google Docs, and Google Sheets
- Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a professional
- Unwavering commitment to the KIPP Texas mission, core values and willingness to go above and beyond to meet the needs of KIPP Texas students, families, and staff
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.