Human Resources Specialist
- San Antonio, TX, USA
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
- Start Date: Immediate opening
About KIPP Texas
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
The Human Resources Specialist is an entry-level position that will process the day-to-day tasks of the KIPP Texas Human Resources Office, including data entry, onboarding, benefits enrollment, and other HR duties as requested. The Human Resources Specialist provides exceptional support to employees throughout the state.
1. Provide HR Support to employees
a. First point of contact for all HR Policy related issues
b. Answer questions and assist with problem resolution for employees and managers
c. Respond to help tickets in a timely manner
2. Coordinate the new hire process for KIPP Texas employees and serve as liaison to new hires during onboarding process
a. Generate and send offer letters and new hire paperwork
b. Process background checks and I9 forms
c. Enter employee data into HRIS system (ADP)
d. Build personnel and confidential files for new employees
e. Assist employees with benefits enrollment
f. Communicate with new hire and hiring manager regarding eligibility to begin work
3. Maintain Federal and State Compliance in the HR Department
a. Provide information to new hires on the process for fingerprinting prior to their start date to ensure the safety of KIPP Texas students and employees
b. Maintain confidential, accurate, and complete files for all KIPP Texas employees
c. Compile pertinent data as needed when preparing various federal, state, and local reports
d. Process worker’s compensation claims
e. Manage FMLA and other leave requests
4. Provide Administrative Support to the Human Resources Team
a. Answer employment verification requests in a timely manner
b. File performance reviews, benefits confirmations, and additional paperwork, as needed
c. Assist the Human Resources Director and Manager with additional administration of Human Resources functions (FMLA, Workers Compensation, etc.)
d. Maintain confidentiality of information
5. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or equivalent experience
· English/Spanish bilingual preferred
· Experience with data entry and use of an HRIS system, like ADP, PeopleSoft, SAP, or equivalent software preferred
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills
· Excellent attention to detail and a high level of accuracy required
· Excellent organizational skills required
· Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
· Ability to work well with all levels of the organization and with external contacts
· Ability to perform under immense pressure and manage multiple priorities
· Ability to interpret and disseminate information to individuals and groups
· Understanding and belief that Human Resources is a service role within the organization
· Strong typing skills are required
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
· Proficiency using computers, printers, copy machines, and fax machines
Compensation and Benefits:
KIPP is a non-profit network of 200 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.