Science Achievement Specialist (Secondary Level)
- Houston, TX, USA
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
- Start Date: Immediate opening
About KIPP Texas
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
Science Achievement Specialists (Secondary Level) will have the opportunity to play a significant role in ensuring that our instructional vision is lived inside of our classrooms and schools by supporting school leadership teams with program implementation, instructional coaching, aligned data analysis practices and aligned development opportunities. Additionally, Achievement Specialists will provide intensive support for struggling campuses within their assigned portfolios.
• Increases student achievement in a targeted portfolio
• Knows the achievement across the region in the assigned content area and at priority campuses and can speak to the region-wide/campus level response to the data
• Proactively analyzes portfolio data on a cycle, action plans and communicates with the appropriate individuals using data to drive decisions and action at the campus and regional level
• Observes classrooms regularly and provides clear, actionable feedback to the shared leader
• Provides feedback to the shared leader that improves teacher practice and student achievement by: developing and maintaining positive working relationships with leaders, leveraging the strengths of the school and the systems in place and providing high leverage action steps
• Observing and/or facilitating content team time and providing feedback that leads to improvement of the content team time
• Working side-by-side to develop content knowledge and coaching skill of assistant principals Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree (required), master’s degree (preferred)
• Experience as an Assistant Principal or Instructional Coach
• Four or more years of teaching experience, 7 years or more of teaching experience preferred
• Expert knowledge of curriculum as it relates to content, courses, standards alignment, and assessments; experience writing or editing curriculum highly preferred
• Strong ability to coach others towards improvement regardless of reporting relationship
• Well-developed communication and problem-solving skills
• Achieved significant academic gains as a teacher in his or her own right;
• Experience developing and leading professional development;
• Experience in analyzing data and using results to ensure increased student mastery;
• Strong knowledge of pedagogical practices to ensure high level engagement and academic mastery for students with low academic performance
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.