Director of Human Resources/Finance
- Grade Level: Middle
- Start Date: Immediate opening
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
KIPP OKC is part of the national KIPP network of tuition-free, open enrollment college-preparatory public charter schools dedicated to preparing scholars from most deserving communities for success in college and life.
Who we are: KIPP OKC College Prep Middle School is a high-performing, college-preparatory public charter school. We educate scholars in grades 4-8.
What we do: We set clearly defined and measurable high expectations for academic achievement, social-emotional skill support, and character development in order to create and reinforce a well-rounded culture of achievement. We know that every scholar is different and we personalize learning based on a scholar’s needs, skills, and interests.
How we do it: Great schools require great teachers and school leaders. We empower our educators to lead school teams, and we invest in training to help them grow as professionals. Our schools provide a safe, structured, and nurturing environment with minimal distractions and more time for both academics and character building, so our scholars love school and maximize their learning.
Why it matters: Great education transforms lives. At KIPP OKC, teachers, scholars, and families are all united around the same goal: college and a choice-filled life. We believe that an excellent college-preparatory education will set scholars up for success in whatever life path they choose. When our scholars graduate from 8th grade, they leave us prepared to enroll at high-performing schools of choice. Additionally, our KIPP OKC alumni complete college at a higher rate above the national average for all scholars, and four times higher than that of scholars from similar economic backgrounds.
This is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary organizational leader with significant people management experience to play a critical role in a premier K-12 charter management organization committed to supporting students to graduate college and succeed in school and life.
Managerial Leadership and Team Development
● Serves as a thought partner to direct reports; coaches and supports direct reports to address their key roles and responsibilities
● Builds a strong, cohesive team culture that reflects the core values of KIPP OKC
● Works in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer, CAO and school-based teams to provide exceptional HR/Finance systems
● Completes annual performance evaluations of direct reports
Financial Modeling, Building Systems, and Collaborative Analysis
· Conducts financial modeling and analysis; utilizes financial models to support organization-wide strategic decision-making
· Coaches others to build and maintain financial models based on rigorous analysis
· Critically assesses model assumptions and scenarios, highlighting risks and mitigating factors
· Defines metrics to monitor and predict the financial performance of entities across the organization; develops systems to track performance measurements and make decisions around resource allocation
· Identifies areas for cost efficiencies
· Builds systems, tools, and processes to track, analyze, and report on cash flow and liquidity
· Leads the cash forecasting process and improves the accuracy and reliability
· Prepares working capital analysis based on forecasts and budget submissions
· Provides analytical support for debt financing's and bank facilities
· Develops strong working relationships with school staff, school leaders, and Central Office colleagues
· Develops credibility with KIPP OKC Board, and serves as a finance liaison on finance presentations
· Establishes a network of external partners to support KIPP OKC’s mission
· Participates with other stakeholders to help design and implement integrated accounting, financial planning, and human resources business and technology systems to support all aspects of KIPP OKC’s management operations
Strategy and Operations
● Partners with school leaders, CAO, and the CEO to identify, prioritize, and implement key people initiatives that will support and drive org-wide efforts to deliver a best-in-class employee experience
● Leads and contributes to near- and long- term strategic planning efforts across the HR team
● Develops a comprehensive strategy and implementation plan to create and scale HR operations for a growing, multi-site organization
● Designs and continuously improves transactional systems and processes to maximize the efficiency and efficacy of our processes and systems, while ensuring compliance across key HR work streams
● Manages the continued implementation and use of existing HR technology in support of delivering high quality HR services
● Collaborates with other teams to ensure collection of, access to, and delivery of key people data for organizational needs while leveraging it to equip leaders with data to make solid decisions
● Works closely with leadership to propose and recommend any necessary policy changes in light of new laws or organizational needs
● Manages vendor relationships and administration of all employee benefits programs including health, life/disability, wellness, teachers retirement, and unemployment.
● Regularly evaluates and seeks to improve KIPP OKC’s employee wellness strategy through programs and initiatives intended to benefit the health and well being of our employees
● Develops and manages audit processes that ensure accuracy of data entry, such as new hires, rehires, transfers, promotions, salary changes, FLSA status changes, schedule changes, and benefit enrollments
● Ensure that all financial transactions follow the Oklahoma Statutes to produce a clean audit. Train staff of financial policies and procedures. Oversee the annual financial audit.
● Partners with the Finance Team to reconcile benefit billing and ensure accurate and timely payment of vendors
● With the Finance Team, delivers timely, accurate semi-monthly payroll
● Works with the Finance Team to streamline payroll data and processes for all financial reporting
● Collaborates with Finance and Recruitment Teams to make salary recommendations for new hires and promotions
● Is a thought leader in contributing to KIPP OKC’s ongoing compensation strategy, monitoring wage and salary trends to ensure KIPP OKC remains competitive in the market
● Participates in KIPP OKC talent leadership team that oversees the strategy for all KIPP OKC recruitment and retention programming
● Stays abreast of changes to local, state, and federal laws that could impact personnel policies and internal processes
● Develops communication strategies to increase regional understanding of payroll and benefits-related topics, including benefit offerings, employee self-service platforms and KIPP OKC HR policies
KIPP OKC’s Director of Human Resources/Finance candidates will have the following:
● A deep commitment to the mission of KIPP OKC and an unwavering belief in the potential of all our students
● An unwavering commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion
● A strong desire to collaborate with school leaders and Central Office teammates in service to a new KIPP region growing out of two exceptionally strong ones
● 5+ years of experience, including at least 4 years of experience leading a team to data driven results in an HR function
● HR Certification preferred (SPHR, SHRM-SCP)
● Experience in school finance and Oklahoma Cost Accounting System
● Experience with Encumbrance Clerk duties and maintains current Encumbrance Clerk certification
● Experience scaling operations and/or providing HR support to multi-site organizations
● Knowledge of federal and state regulations related to administration of HR operations and data systems
● Financial modeling expertise and excellent quantitative skills
● Budget development and implementation experience in a complex organization
● Facility with complex financial systems
● An understanding of the specific, unique characteristics of public charter schools, OKC specific knowledge a plus
● Outstanding leadership and management skills, particularly as it relates to building teams, working through others, promoting collaboration, managing conflict, goal setting, and holding people accountable
● An entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated success in building a program, department or organization
● The flexibility needed to accommodate the breadth and depth of responsibilities and priorities
● Outstanding written, speaking, and organizational skills including excellence in backwards planning long-term goals and accountability and progress monitoring systems
● Ability to interact with a broad range of stakeholders with different interests and needs
● Possess a deep commitment to both racial equity and improving the lives of kids from low-income communities; experience working within predominantly Black, Brown, and/or low-income communities
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of expertise. A competitive benefits package is offered.
- Employee health insurance coverage
- Life insurance including AD & D
- Oklahoma Teachers Retirement System contributions
- Compensated leave time for illness or personal reasons
- All staff members are issued a laptop computer and instructional technological equipment.
- Professional growth and leadership opportunities within KIPP OKC.
KIPP OKC is dedicated to equal employment opportunities and fair labor practices. KIPP OKC provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications, and the ability to perform a job without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religious creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, legally protected medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or on any other basis made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.