Family and Community Engagement Manager (Boston and Lynn openings)
- Boston, MA, USA
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
- Start Date: Next year opening
The mission of all of KIPP Massachusetts schools is to create an environment where students develop the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to maximize their potential in high school, college, and the world beyond. Our program is based on:
- A focus on high-quality instruction supported by rigorous professional development to ensure that our students develop the academic skills necessary to pursue the life they choose.
- High regard for character development to ensure that our students and staff celebrate and develop their character and identity strengths.
- An emphasis on family engagement, because we believe that our students are most likely to be able to maximize their potential when we work in partnership with our students and their families.
- A focus on college readiness for all students so that all students can make choices about their post-secondary education and future.
What We Do
We seek to provide a world-class education for students from educationally underserved communities in Lynn and Boston. Our student demographics mirror those of neighborhood schools in terms of race, socioeconomic status, English Language Learners, and students who receive special education services.
Our promise to families is that their children will enter college and the professional world able to thrive academically due to their literacy, numeracy, and core knowledge in science and social studies. We also promise that our students will develop the zest for learning and grit necessary to persevere as they climb the mountain to and through college and career. Our graduates will be prepared to return to their community as teachers, leaders, and architects of continued growth in Lynn and Boston.
Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity Vision
At KIPP Massachusetts, we believe that Knowledge is Power. Every day, our team and family have the opportunity to either perpetuate systems of oppression or disrupt them. We are compelled by the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusivity. Therefore, we continuously commit to operating as an anti-racist organization. Read more at Diversity Equity Inclusivity Vision.
Who We Are
KIPP Massachusetts began enrolling students in 2004. We currently hold two charters, operating two “districts.” Our first district, KIPP Academy Lynn Charter School, is based in Lynn, MA. Our second district, KIPP Academy Boston Charter School, is based in Mattapan, MA. Each district is housed on one or more “campuses,” which we use to refer to different grade spans, for example, elementary grades, middle school grades, or high school grades.
In Lynn, KIPP Academy Lynn Elementary (serving grades K-4), KIPP Academy Lynn Middle (serving grades 5-8), and KIPP Academy Lynn Collegiate (serving grades 9-12), are all under our Lynn charter. Admission to any grade in the Lynn district is admission to all remaining grades in the Lynn district K-12. 66% of our students in Lynn are Hispanic, 23% are Black, and 11% are other races/ethnicities.
KIPP Academy Boston(serving grades K-8) operates under our Boston charter. Admission to any grade in the Boston district is admission to all remaining grades in the Boston district, K-8. 68% of our students in Boston are Black, 30% are Hispanic and 2% are other races/ethnicities.
Across both districts, in the school year, 2020-2021 KIPP Massachusetts will serve over 2,100 students.
KIPP Massachusetts is part of the nation-wide KIPP non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 100,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students.
KIPP Massachusetts is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for all of our students, families, teachers, staff, and community members.
Family and Community Engagement Manager
The Family and Community Engagement Manager facilitates partnership and communication between KIPP families, staff, and the broader community. The Manager manages a wide portfolio, which includes leading the Family and Community Learning Program, which serves adult learners in the evenings; supporting family engagement across the region by working closely with family councils and school leadership; and engaging the community by establishing and maintaining partnerships with organizations that directly impact KIPP’s mission. The Family and Community Engagement Manager will report directly to the Managing Director of Equity and Engagement.
Family and Community Learning
- Manage Family and Community Learning Program to offer high-quality adult basic education classes and programs for approximately 40 students at the Lynn or Boston campus
- Manage an evening staff of approximately 5-7 people to support adult education classes
- Recruit, train, and manage approximately 5 adult education teachers
- Track student attendance, participation and growth and provide regular updates on student engagement and the impact of the program on the participants, the school, and the community.
- Monitor the quality of the program through observation and feedback; seek and implement feedback from MD of Equity and Engagement
Family and Community Engagement
- Execute on the yearly strategic plan re: family and community engagement for the region
- Collaborate with family leaders who wish to support schools and assist them in training other families on topics related to advocacy and leadership
- Support family councils in increasing family engagement through outreach and retention
- Support school leaders, teachers, and families to create and maintain a diverse, equitable, inclusive environment
- Establish, maintain, and sustain partnerships with community members and organizations
- Attend community meetings, advocacy events, hearings and other external events as a representative of KIPP MA
- Identify and share resources that empower families and communities
- Create systems to collect feedback from families and community members
- Measure and share the impact of engagement strategies on students, families, and the community
- Organize information and education sessions on topics of crucial importance to families and advocacy efforts. (Know Your Rights trainings; overcoming the opportunity gap; rights and responsibilities as a parent etc.)
- Support the KIPPvotes initiatives
- Develop and lead advocacy training sessions for parents, families, students and community partners
- Collaborate with MCPSA (Massachusetts Charter Public School Association) to represent KIPP MA at public hearing, events, meetings and any type of gathering that is crucial for advocacy efforts and to support efforts to remove restrictions for high-quality charter public schools to expand
- Develop, establish, and maintain partnerships with key community organizations and individuals across Boston and Lynn
- Serve as a connector between organizations and KIPP students and families
- Measure and share the impact of partnerships on students, families, and the community.
- Must be willing to work evenings (will have an adjusted schedule for a later start to end workday around 9:00 pm) to manage Family and Community Learning Program. Intermittent weekend work is required to attend family and community events.
- Bilingual applicants preferred.
- Minimally a bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5 years of working with families from diverse backgrounds, and underserved urban communities, in educational and/or non-profit family engagement programs.
- Detail and process oriented, able to develop and implement programming necessary to build capacity and organizational structure.
- Experience evaluating programs and developing innovative strategies to meet challenges with flexibility and creativity.
- Ability to develop initiatives and oversee the development of long-term plans and proposals to support strategic objectives.
- Ability to challenge, convince and manage multiple business stakeholders.
- Ability to listen deeply to key stakeholders, understand and reflect back challenges and guide individuals through a solutions-finding process.
- A driven self-starter with a demonstrated track record of success in developing and executing on a long-term, multi-tiered strategy with accountability and reliability.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with attention to detail, a sense of humor, and a humble, growth mindset.
- Ability to connect with people from diverse ethnic, socio-economic, and professional backgrounds.
- Has outstanding project management skills, with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- A proven ability to collaborate and build relationships with stakeholders across functional and organizational lines.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Internal candidates: If you are currently a member of the KIPP MA team, please apply by emailing your resume to the Recruitment Team at [email protected] Be sure to indicate to which position you wish to apply.
- Submit your resume and application through our online job board at https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/KIPP/massachusetts
- The KIPP MA Recruitment Team will select candidates to move forward to the phone interview stage.
- Following the phone interview, the KIPP MA team will invite qualified candidates to interview with KIPP MA School or Regional Office Teams.
KIPP Massachusetts, KIPP Academy Lynn, and KIPP Academy Boston are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.