- Houston, TX, USA
- Department: Regional Support and Leadership
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a nonprofit public charter school network, dedicated to preparing students in educationally underserved communities for college success and choice-filled lives. Today, KIPP Texas operates 59 public charter schools educating over 31,100 students across four regions – Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/.
The Maintenance Technician is part of the Facilities Department, and is responsible for performing repairs, preventative maintenance, and improvement projects at one or more assigned facilities. The Maintenance Technician will work on various systems, including HVAC, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and grounds maintenance. The Maintenance Technician will work under the direction of an experienced Sr. Maintenance Technician and/or Campus Facilities Manager, and will have opportunities for on-the-job training and formal professional development. As a key member of the statewide Facilities team, the Facilities Technician will report to the Sr. Facilities Technician. This role furthers the mission of KIPP by providing a clean and safe learning environment for students and faculty.
- Responsible for maintaining the campus buildings and grounds
- Manage and maintain all building systems: Burglar and fire alarms, elevators, HVAC, irrigation systems, and all other systems.
- Responsibilities include basic painting, pest control, lawn care, plumbing and basic electrical repairs.
- Execute work orders to high standards of quality and timeliness.
- Communicate with school staff and departments to coordinate completion of work orders and setup for campus events.
- On call response during and after operating hours.
- Perform regular inspections and do whatever it takes to resolve potential problems before they escalate.
- Attend meetings, professional development meetings and training session “Continuous Learning”
- 1-3 years of facilities or maintenance related experience.
- Knowledge of building systems and the maintenance and repair thereof.
- Expertise in or technical knowledge of HVAC, electrical and/or plumbing systems highly preferred.
- Skill in maintaining positive relations with others.
- Meticulous attention to detail with an ability to produce high quality work in a dynamic environment.
- Verbal communication and interpersonal skills required to work with a broad group of stakeholders with different interests and needs.
- Basic computer skills required; experience in Microsoft Outlook and/or facilities work order software preferred.
- English fluency is required; Spanish is a plus .
- Reliable transportation required (may be required to drive to different facilities or to pick up supplies during the workday).
- Flexibility in work schedule.
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas’ competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.