Director, Policy and Advocacy Office of Policy and Public Affairs, KIPP Foundation
- Washington, DC, USA
- Department: KIPP Foundation (national roles)
- Start Date: Immediate opening
Great education transforms lives. KIPP, the Knowledge Is Power Program, is a non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 110,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and career success, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
KIPP Foundation trains and develops outstanding educators to lead KIPP schools, provides tools, resources, and training for excellent teaching and learning, promotes innovation, and facilitates the exchange of insights and ideas within the KIPP network and with partners including: other charters, districts, colleges and universities, and non-profit organizations across the country.
Why work at KIPP?
By working for the KIPP Foundation, you help more students across the country receive the high-quality education they deserve. If you believe all children deserve great schools and programs where they can gain the knowledge, skills, character, and habits necessary to achieve their dreams while making the world a better place, please join us!
KIPP’s policy and advocacy team has a reputation for being pragmatic, dedicated to building bipartisan allies, and unwavering in our focus of keeping students at the center of all that we do. The Director of Policy and Advocacy reports to the Senior Director of Policy, Advocacy and Community Engagement (PACE) and will lead KIPP’s federally facing presence inside the beltway, and support regions on their state and local work. He/she is a member of the Policy and Public Affairs team, who works collaboratively with the Chief of Policy and Public Affairs, KIPP’s Communication team, Regional Advocacy teams, KIPP Through College, PR/Marketing teams as well as a coalition of high-performing CMOs and other advocates, think tanks and thought leaders. To date, KIPP’s policy work has spanned a variety of policy areas including K-12 education, Higher Education, Immigration, Nutrition Policy and other areas that are critical to KIPP students and families.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
The Director of Policy and Advocacy will lead the following workstreams, as part of a larger integrated strategic plan:
- Lead, develop and execute strategy to advance federal and state policy, and partner with external and regional stakeholders to cultivate congressional/governmental champions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, state and federal elected officials, education influencers, members of policy and advocacy foundations, coalitions, and key partners to advance policy goals for KIPP with the Senior Director of PACE.
- Serve as one of KIPP’s primary policy experts by representing KIPP in discussions and presentations with external stakeholders
- Lead a national coalition of high-quality public charter schools to help advance a federal policy agenda
- Build relationships that create and enable opportunities for KIPP to share research and program lessons, build broad based understanding and support for policy priorities and foster deeper policy partnerships
- With the support of our communications and marketing team create tools, reports and op eds that promote our policy agenda.
- Support the Senior Director of PACE in providing direct policy support and guidance to senior officials in select states.
- Position KIPP as a critical thought partner in executing personalized learning and to advise on matters related to innovation and personalization more broadly
- Lead, write, and coordinate policy and advocacy initiatives that are relevant to improving the educational opportunities and lives of the students and families we serve, and partner with external partners as necessary to lead change efforts
- Monitor and identify relevant federal, state and local education policies and prepare appropriate policy analysis, as needed
- Analyze white papers, laws, publications, briefs, case studies and monitor proposed policy efforts at the local, state, and federal level that will impact KIPP’s mission
- Ability to model KIPP’s values
- A deep understanding of tactics to drive a policy and advocacy strategy
- Outstanding policy analysis and development skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Constructive and effective relationship building across the political spectrum
Experience and Qualifications
- Deep commitment to both racial and educational equity; supports the building of an organization that reflects the community KIPP serves; holds self and others on team accountable for centering equity
- Capitol Hill experience or experience in a state legislature preferred.
- 7+ years of professional experience in relevant fields or functions, including at least 5 years in positions related specifically to government affairs, policy, or advocacy in education.
- Prior teaching experience a plus.
- Strong political acumen and significant experience navigating complex environments to derive creative solutions.
- Deep understanding of K-12 and higher education policy landscape.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, including building and maintain coalitions.
- A proven track record in effectively managing a high-performing team.
We are currently working in a telework environment because of COVID-19. When it is safe to return to the office, this position will be based in Washington, DC and will require ~20% travel. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Compensation and Benefits
KIPP offers competitive salary commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation and PTO, 401k retirement plan with both pre- and post-tax options, as well as gym reimbursement, flexible spending account (FSA), and cell phone reimbursement are also offered by KIPP.
KIPP Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.