Elementary Teacher (Immediate)
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Department: Teacher
- Grade Level: Elementary
- Subject: General Elementary
- Start Date: Immediate opening
At KIPP Indy Unite Elementary, our goal is that every student will have the academic foundation, character strengths, and support necessary to succeed in college, to live a life of choice, and to make a positive impact in our community. To do this, we live by Walter Payton’s words, “We are stronger together than we are apart.” We leverage the unique perspectives, talents, and strengths of each member of our community in order to solve problems, inspire growth, and maximize learning. Combining technology and collaborative learning with rigorous academic standards, we will prepare students for their journey to and through college. With joy and enthusiasm, we instill a love for learning and we embrace challenges as opportunities for both individual and community growth.
ORGANIZATION KIPP is a non-profit network of college-preparatory, public charter schools with a 20+ year track record of providing an excellent college-prep education that sets students up for success in whatever life path they choose. KIPP currently educates more than 100,000 students in 255 schools across the country, including Indianapolis. KIPP Indy Public Schools (KIPP Indy) was founded in 2004 with one class of fifth grade students and has grown to educate more than 1,250 students across three schools. KIPP Indy Unite Elementary was founded in 2014 with 100 kindergarten students and has grown a grade level each year to educate more than 600 students in grades K-5 in the 2020-21 school year. Of the students that attend KIPP Indy, 93% qualify for free and reduced lunch, 93% are African American, and 20% receive special education services. We will continue to grow KIPP Indy’s network of schools to educate a total of 1,400 students in grades K-12.
KIPP Indy Unite Elementary is seeking a teacher to provide high-quality instruction for students in grades K-5.
Teachers at KIPP Indy Unite Elementary are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous instruction in their classroom that produces strong results and student understanding. Teachers will use data to inform their instruction and do whatever it takes for all students to learn. Teachers at KIPP Indy Unite are committed to leading and teaching through an anti-racist lens, will work to make their classrooms safe, joyful environments, and build relationships with their students to ensure every student can be successful.
- Create lesson plans in specific subject areas for the grade K-5 and lead instruction for students in your class.
- Exhibit positive rapport with students, families, and staff
- Internalize lesson plans to execute at a high level
- Use assessment data to inform planning and modify lesson plans to meet the needs of students
- Maintain a safe and organized classroom
- Implement the school-wide student management policies within classrooms and everywhere on campus
- Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all families
- Participate in weekly content professional development meetings outside of school hours
- Serve on school committees as needed
- Perform clerical duties, as required, relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
- Demonstrate a willingness to go above and beyond for students, staff, and families
- Participate in school-wide and individual professional development, including two weeks during the summer, weekly school-wide meetings, and ongoing racial equity training
- Provide time in the evening, by phone, for questions and concerns that students and/or families may have regarding education-related issues that could not be handled during the school day
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings and communicate openly with all staff
- Uphold the code of conduct and all school policies
- Be available for open houses, family conferences, and other events involving parents and families
- Believes deeply that all students can learn and deserve a high-quality education
- Exhibit KIPP Indy Unite Elementary values of joy, teamwork, love, and grit
- Perseveres through challenges and is adaptable to change
- Understands their own strengths and weaknesses and shows initiative in seeking ways to always improve
- Develops strong relationships
- Communicates across lines of differences and proactively creates inclusive environments
- Plans carefully to meet both short- and long-term goals and holds themselves accountable for meeting goals
- Uses data to solve problems
- Valid Indiana Teaching License or seeking reciprocation (Required)
- Bachelor’s degree (Required)
- Pass a criminal background check (Required)
- Commitment to working with underserved students (Required)
- At least two years of teaching experience in an urban public elementary school (Preferred)
- Experience in analyzing student data and using data to inform instruction (Preferred)
- Possess a strong knowledge of content area (Preferred)
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience, and includes benefits. Teachers are also eligible for performance-based bonuses.
KIPP Indy Unite Elementary is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.