- Oklahoma City, OK, USA
- Department: School-based Support
- Grade Level: Middle
- Start Date: Immediate opening
Under the general supervision of the Director of Operations, the Bus Driver has the primary responsibility for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of the children, staff and volunteers during bus transportation to and from the school and on field trips. It is also the role of the Bus Driver to: guarantee that the bus is always clean and in proper working condition before trips; determine and follow safe and efficient bus routes and maintain all transportation records required by the school.
1. Ensures the safety and well-being of children and adults being transported to and from the school and on field trips.
2. Completes a comprehensive written inspection of the bus daily, reporting any conditions of concern to the Director of Operations.
3. Ensures that the bus always has sufficient fuel.
4. Operates bus in such a way that road and safety regulations are always followed; reports any traffic violations to the Director immediately.
5. Follows procedures to guarantee no child is left alone on bus without adult supervision at any time, including insuring all children have departed bus at the end of all bus routes (morning, evening and during field trips or other special trips).
6. Keeps the bus clean and free of debris; follows other bus cleaning procedures.
7. Routinely inventories bus emergency and first aid supplies and equipment, reports needs to the Director of Operations.
8. Attend transportation in-service training of bus drivers and other continuing education, career and professional development opportunities.
9. In case of accidents/emergencies, evacuates children according to written and practiced procedures.
10. In the event of an accident, assures that medical emergency procedures are followed; completes a written accident report as required by delegate's procedure and other authorities.
11. Support student recruitment, enrollment, and retention activities as needed.
12. Performs other duties, as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed in such a position.
Possess a current Commercial Driver's License class B with school bus endorsement.
Successful experience as a School Bus Driver preferred. Effective oral and written communication skills commensurate with the responsibilities of the position are required.
• Ability to pass a School Bus Driver's physical which includes a drug test.
• Must be able to comply with background check, including fingerprints, as required by the State of Arkansas.
• Have a valid Arkansas driver's license.
• Exemplification of the character values: zest, grit, self-control, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor
• Ability to present a positive image of the organization to members of the community.
• Manual dexterity sufficient to operate the bus, conducts pre-trip inspections, and cleans the bus.
• Must have effective organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
• Ability to learn and comprehend information from Procedures Manuals and other materials.
• Ability to comprehend and follow traffic signs required.
• Ability to perform responsibilities under pressure and in cases of accidents or other emergencies.
• Successful experience working as an effective member of a team desirable.
• Respect for children and adults from various cultures and backgrounds, flexibility, patience, good personal hygiene, and physical and mental health that do not interfere with responsibilities.
This job involves sitting for long periods as well as stooping, squatting, lifting, carrying, pushing and climbing. Able to work a flexible schedule. Must be able to travel, enter, and exit a vehicle without assistance and withstand exposure to adverse weather conditions. Random drug tests may be performed.
The qualifications listed above are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.