High School Special Education Teacher
- Kansas City, MO, USA
- Department: Teacher
- Grade Level: High
- Subject: Special Education
- Start Date: Next year opening
KIPP KC was founded in 2007 with our middle school serving grades 5-8. In 2013 we opened our elementary school. Today we serve just 650 students in grades PreK-8. We intend to open our High School in Fall 2021.
We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities.Great education transforms lives
Every member of the Team & Family at KIPP KC plays a critical role in ensuring our students are on the path toward college, career, and beyond. Our educators are passionate advocates for our students and families, working tirelessly to connect them with access to opportunity for lives of power and choice. As the Founding Special Education Teacher, you will deliver exceptional instruction and support access to the general education environment. You are dedicated to constant learning, and you proactively provide academic and cultural support to your school and team. You are deeply committed to educational equity, building relationships with students and families so they are safe, seen, heard, and loved.
As the KIPP KC Founding High School Special Education Teacher, your core responsibilities include:
Instructional Delivery and Assessment
● Deliver evidence-based specialized instruction to address the instructional goals contained within each student’s IEP and ensure access to the general education curriculum
● Use assessment data to adjust instructional methods and levels of support in both the special education and general education environment
● Provide consultation to general education teachers regarding classroom accommodations, instructional modifications, adaptive equipment, behavior plans and other similar instructional interventions to meet the needs of students with disabilities
● Coordinate the scheduling and delivery of special education services as outlined in each student's IEP through collaboration with related service providers and building leaders
● Develop IEPs in accordance with guidelines established under IDEA and the Missouri Special Education Compliance Program Review Standards and Indicators
● Maintain accurate records (e.g. grade book, discipline documentation, progress monitoring, service logs)
● Embrace and incorporate feedback in the spirit of constant improvement
Academic and Cultural Support
● Assume personal responsibility for student achievement
● Collaborate with content and grade-level teams to promote an environment of critical thinking, inclusion, and academic rigor
● Establish and maintain working relationships with students and families based on trust and respect
● Participate in the daily functions of the school such as morning, lunch, and afternoon supervisory duties
● Attend critical school events such as staff meetings, open houses, and student-led parent conferences
● Meet professional obligations including timeliness and consistency in meeting deadlines
Exemplify the school cultural expectations
Skills and Qualifications
● Bachelor’s degree
● Relentless focus on results and a commitment to teamwork
● Deep commitment to educational equity and underserved communities
● Valid Missouri Teaching license with required certification for subject and level assigned*
● Demonstrated knowledge of core subject area assigned
● Satisfactory outcome of a background check
*Applicants currently pursuing a certification may apply before certification is received. All certifications must be acquired and on file with KIPP KC before the end of the first year of employment.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, KIPP KC offers a comprehensive benefits package including health coverage and retirement.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.