Nurse (School Based) - Licensed Medical Aide
- Kansas City, MO, USA
- Department: School-based Support
- Start Date: Immediate opening
KIPP KC was founded in 2007 with our middle school serving grades 5-8. In 2017 we opened our elementary school. Today we serve just 650 students in grades PreK-8. We intend to open our High School in Fall 2021.
We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives
The School Nurse (Medical Aide) serves as the go-to person for all health concerns. The Medical Aide works in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple priorities at once to ensure that our students receive the care they need, while also ensuring health screening programs and documentation are meticulously maintained. This position requires initiative, meticulous follow-through, the ability to work with a diverse population, and a willingness to uphold the high expectations of our school.
Responsibilities of this Role
● Applies nursing practice to the unique needs of individuals, groups, and populations of schools
● Promotes, implements, and upholds the professional standards of school nursing practice as established by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
● Follows state and local health practice statutes, district policies, and administrative guidelines
● Serves as a medical resource and health advocate for students and staff
● Assumes the responsibility of appropriate health assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation, management and referrals for students
● Plays a key role in identifying health concerns and treatment measures, providing instruction, counseling, and guidance in the maintenance of good health practices and disease prevention.
Duties and Responsibilities – General
● Administers basic health care and First Aid for the purpose of providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured children.
● Administers over the counter medication and medication with doctor’s orders included.
● Conducts daily health screenings for all students and staff
● Supervises prescribed medical treatments and medication administration.
● Observes daily routines and procedures and gives feedback to teachers in order to ensure we are following health and safety protocols.
● Provides assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation, management, and referral for appropriate medical care of students with acute/chronic health conditions and in emergency situations
Manager of Student Health Care
● Assists in the development or revision of policies, procedures, and work standards for the school health program
● Monitors compliance with current state immunization and health assessment requirements and functions as a public health nurse in auditing student records, compiling information and submitting reports to the Missouri Department of Public Health on topics of vaccination, prevalence of asthma & diabetes, and screening results
● Creates and maintains health care plans (IHCP), medical emergency cards, immunization records of all students for the purpose of ensuring compliance with state law and providing information required for transfer of records as needed
● Provides identification, assessment, care planning, referral and follow-up for students with acute/chronic health care needs and/or communicable diseases
● Interprets student health care needs to families and school staff
● Educates families through written communication and verbal contacts to encourage follow-through of health care referrals
● Educates students, staff, and parents/guardians regarding medication administration, medical procedures needed at school, acute/chronic illness management, prevention and control of communicable diseases, acute/chronic illness management, emergency care, and other health-related issues
● Provides assistance and counseling for students with psychological and medical concerns and/or physical limitations and assists in the adaptation of any limitations.
All other duties as assigned
Qualified candidates have the following:
● One of the following:
○ Valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Missouri
○ An associate, bachelor, or master’s degree in nursing
○ An up to date Medical Aide or Medical Tech license
● Previous employment in child health, community health, or other relevant clinical nursing settings.
● A willingness to complete school nurse training and all Department of Elementary and Secondary Education nurses meetings
● At least one of the three certifications/degrees listed below:
● National certification or license in school or community nursing
● Licensure as a nurse practitioner specializing in pediatric, family or school nursing care
● Degree in public health, nursing, health education or community nursing
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
KIPP KC is an employment-at-will organization.
KIPP KC is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds.