[2021-2022] KIPP NYC Teacher in Residence
- New York, NY, United States
- Department: Teaching Fellow
- Start Date: Next year opening
KIPP NYC Public Schools is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in The Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of seven elementary schools, seven middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Through College and Career, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC Public Schools currently serves more than 6000 students and alumni and has a staff of more than 700. In August 2021, we will be opening two new middle schools in NYC!
The Teacher-In-Residence program offers aspiring K-12 teachers a unique opportunity to receive high-quality training at a KIPP NYC school. Individuals will have a high-performing KIPP teacher who serves as a mentor and advisor for the entire school year. Teachers-In-Residence receive extensive training and deliberate practice through a targeted professional development series for beginning teachers, allowing for a structured, supportive and more sustainable on-ramp into the teaching profession. This program is best suited for individuals who are passionate and committed to teaching as a long-term career path, but have 0 years of full-time lead teaching experience.
1. For Candidates without NYS Certification and MA in Teaching:
- Full-Time Teaching Role at a KIPP NYC School with targeted professional development
- Required enrollment in MA in Teaching program at Relay Graduate School of Education; includes recommendation for NYS Transitional-B Certification
2. For Candidates with NYS Certification and MA in Teaching:
- Full-Time Teaching Role at a KIPP NYC school with targeted professional development
- Additional compensation for certification in addition to base Teacher-in-Residence Salary
Duties and Responsibilities:
Teachers-In-Residence will assume the same schedule as a full-time KIPP NYC teacher. Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing teaching skills through regular feedback and coaching.
- Providing individual, small, and whole group instruction for students through gradual onboarding.
- Leading or co-facilitating an advisory.
- Engaging in regional, cohort, school and content-based professional and personal development.
- Constantly assessing student progress and communicating results to families and colleagues
- Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families, and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or higher (if currently in school, expected Bachelor’s degree by June 2021).
- High level of organization and professionalism.
- Strong interpersonal skills that contribute to a collegial working environment and a healthy measure of the character traits we value: zest, grit, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude and a sense of humor.
- A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture.
- Open to feedback and willing to constantly reflect, improve, and learn.
- Desire and commitment to teach in a K-12 setting for at least three years after the first year of the residency.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus.
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.