Senior Electrical Engineer
- 600 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403, USA
- Sub-Department: Engineering & Maintenance
- Department: Operations
- Site Location: Minneapolis
When it comes to being wild, we know a thing or two. We’re not afraid of trying something new or the hard work it takes to make it happen. It’s in our DNA. We’ve turned a family recipe into the world’ largest meat snack business, that’s still proudly family owned and operated.
We’re a company built by innovators, and are driven to not only satisfy your hunger, but to also feed your journey – whether that journey is on the road, on the run, at the campground, at the playground, in the office or in the moment. It’s a journey we share with you. It’s the journey forward of our people, of our communities, of our category…with a reverence for quality and an irreverence for the status quo.
At Jack Link’s Protein Snacks, we see every moment of every day as an opportunity to move forward, to forge new ground, to realize our vision of becoming the World’s #1 Protein Snack Company. We never give up. You never give up. Together, we keep going. Are you wild enough to join us?
Join the team, make a difference, be part of something bigger.
Link Snacks, Ink (“Jack Link’s”) is the #1 Meat Snack brand in the U.S. Headquartered in Minong, Wisconsin, Link Snacks is a family-owned and operated company that represents a heritage of quality, safety and innovation. The company is made up of passionate team members who share an uncompromising commitment to delivering awesome products. Sold in more than 40 countries, the Link Snacks’ family of companies owns a portfolio of brands that includes Jack Link’s®, Lorissa’s Kitchen®, Wild River®, Golden Island®, MATADOR®, BiFi®, and Peperami®.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will primarily be responsible for hands on leadership in defining companywide electrical and automation strategies, standards and accompanying technology supporting Jack Links’ manufacturing operations by maximizing productivity and operating capabilities in all key areas. The ideal candidate will also have extensive experience in electrical and industrial automation, with a focus on PLC, MES, SCADA and IIoT systems, communications architecture, and integration with robotics and databases. You will be responsible for technical and functional leadership of electrical, automation and controls systems supporting a business platform. Under limited supervision, this person will execute and support major automation and controls capital projects across the platform consistent with the strategic direction. This role serves as a key subject matter expert and resource for manufacturing and business leadership. This person must be capable of collaborating with cross-functional teams and plant engineers and managers. It is desirable for the successful candidate to have knowledge in manufacturing assembly systems, a deep understanding of food/meat processing industries, as well as exceptional interpersonal, organizational and management skills, demonstrating the ability to be an innovator and change agent.
Lead as expert, implementation of Strategic automation and control projects.
- Develops and implements medium to long-term controls, network architecture, and plant floor strategies to drive efficiency, plant floor productivity, and innovation.
- Provide strategic support for engineering, operations, and maintenance to drive out losses in the manufacturing process by leveraging existing and emerging control system technology and methodologies
- Provide input into the plants capital plan and proactively manage obsolescence of controls systems
- Provide tactical and troubleshooting support to operations and maintenance in the area of controls and information systems
- Manage electrical and controls architecture, including servers, PLC’s HMI’s, and VFD’s
- Manage external integrators as necessary and implementation of PLC and HMI hardware/software and manufacturing networks in accordance with Jack Links standards
- Contribute to a safety culture that strives for zero injuries by proactively identifying and addressing physical/environmental/behavioral issues and implementing best practices for safety reliable control circuits
- Ensure existing and new equipment and infrastructure meets applicable electrical codes (NEC, NFPA 70E, NFPA 79, etc.) and Jack Link’s Global CIS Standards
- Interact with all stakeholders effectively; Production Leadership, Facilities management, Information and Technology Systems (ITS) teams and front-line team members to drive sustainable improvement and business results that tie to our business plan
- Build and maintain a strong working relationship with engineers, operations and maintenance leadership, controls techs, floor personnel, and external engineers/vendors
- Apply Zero Loss Culture concepts in all areas of work
• Bachelor’s Degree required preferably in Electrical Engineering from ABET accredited program
• 10+ years’ experience in Electrical Automation, Manufacturing and Packaging Technologies within the Consumer-Packaged Goods Food Industry preferably with meat proteins
• 8+ years of automation engineering experience with a focus on electrical and control systems.
• Must have advanced knowledge of processing, packaging & facility systems along with thorough understanding of manufacturing, engineering, quality, and research functions.
• Experience successfully performing engineered designs for large scale projects and leading project teams required.
• Demonstrates project management leadership, problem-solving, decision making, troubleshooting, communications, and interpersonal skills.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of the primary codes and safety requirements applicable to controls safety systems, robotics, and power distribution equipment and systems.
• Strong ability to utilize application, programming, and integration experience through a variety of hardware/software.
• Strong understanding of medium and high voltage power distribution and associated equipment is preferred.
• Ability to work with a team and influence diverse groups at various levels and across functions.
• Ability to teach the fundamentals of electrical automation and control systems.
• Ability to troubleshoot PLCs at the code level and troubleshoot equipment and wiring.
• Familiarity with TPM, Six Sigma, LEAN or other vigorous Continuous Improvement Methodologies preferred
• Qualified candidates will be able to present and detail a successful automation project that they have led from concept to completion.
• Ability to travel 30% of the time.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. IMPORTANT: If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, we are required to provide you written instructions and an opportunity to contact SSA and/or DHS before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. We may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants or to re-verify current employees and may not limit or influence the choice of documents presented for use on the Form I-9. In order to determine whether Form I-9 documentation is valid, we use E-Verify’s photo screening tool to match the photograph appearing on some permanent resident and employment authorization cards with the official U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ (USCIS) photograph. If you believe that your employer has violated its responsibilities under this program or has discriminated against you during the verification process based upon your national origin or citizenship status, please call the Office of Special Counsel at 1-800-255-7688 (TDD: 1-800-237-2515).